lkay Gundogan scored the fastest goal in FA cup final history for Manchester City against Manchester United in the 2022/23 showpiece at Wembley.
The stunning strike had given Pep Guardiola’s men the lead after just 12 seconds before Bruno Fernandes equalised for United later in the half.
Whilst Gundogan’s goal, in relative terms, may not be anywhere near the fastest goal ever scored in the history of the beautiful game, the German’s effort is still hugely impressive.
Let’s take a look at the fastest goals ever scored in football.
What are the fastest goals in football history?
The fastest goal in the history of football is widely thought to be Gavin Stokes’ strike for Maryhill against Clydebank after 2.1 seconds.
The goal came straight from the kick-off in the non-league West of Scotland Super League First Division in 2017.
Vuk Bakic’s goal for GSP Polet against FK Dorcol in a Serbian second tier junior match in 2012 was clocked at just 0.1 seconds slower – also arriving straight from the kick-off.
Rounding out the top three is Marc Burrows, who netted after 2.56 seconds for Cowes Sports Reserves against Eastleigh Reserves in 2004.
The honour of the fastest goal in Premier League history belongs to Shane Long, who scored after 7.69 seconds for Southampton against Watford back in 2019.
Hakan Sukur scored the quickest goal in World Cup history after 11 seconds during Turkey’s third place play-off against South Korea in 2002.
Fastest goals in football history
- Gavin Stokes – 2.1s (Maryhill vs Clydebank, 2017)
- Vuk Bakic – 2.2s (GSP Polet vs FK Dorcol, 2012)
- Marc Burrows – 2.56s (Cowes Sports vs Eastleigh, 2004)
- Cheung Sai Ho – 2.8s (Portsmouth Cup, 1993)
- Ricardo Olivera – 2.8s (Rio Negro vs Soriano Interior, 1998)
- Carlos Almeida – 3s (Oliveira vs Atletica de Arganil, 2011)
- Megan Searson – 3s (Maurauders vs Minnesota, 2016)
- Fred – 3.17s (America Mineiro vs Vila Nova, 2003)
- Colin Cowperthwaite – 3.55s (Barrow vs Kettering Town, 1979)
- Richard Wetton – 3.57s (Oakwood vs Lingfield, 2017)
What was the previous fastest goal in FA Cup final history?
The previous fastest goal in FA Cup final history was Louis Saha for Everton against Chelsea in 2009 after 25 seconds.
The Toffees went on to lose that game, however, succumbing to a 2-1 defeat courtesy of goals by Didier Drogba and Frank Lampard.
Roberto Di Matteo rounds out the top three with his second goal for Chelsea in the 1997 final against Middlesbrough scored after 43 seconds.