Connect with us

NEWS

UNILAG to assist Prof. Theo Vincent

Published

on

 

The University of Lagos has said it will explore all means to assist a former lecturer of the institution, Prof. Theo Vincent, after learning about his travails 11 years after his retirement.

The Punch had in a report titled, “Theo Vincent: From Ivory towers to Lagos slums” on Thursday, September 3, 2015 detailed the sad tale of the celebrated scholar, writer and former Vice-Chancellor of the University of Port Harcourt who is now facing hard times.

Vincent, who retired from the University of Lagos in October 2004, taught in the Department of English for about 34 years.

The report had stated that the once celebrated scholar, no thanks to his visual impairment, now lives like a recluse in Bariga, a Lagos slum, shut out of the larger society and hardly leaves his home.

However, in a statement from the office of the Deputy Registrar of Information, UNILAG, the university said it would assist Vincent in his period of distress, but not without clarifying some issues as regards the don.

It said, “Prof. Theo Vincent had a very distinguished career in the University of Lagos, spanning some 34 years. He retired in October, 2004, under the old pension scheme, and was fully paid his gratuity in line with the scheme.

“The university also paid his monthly pension regularly, until July, 2015 when the Federal Government took over the payment of pensions of retirees. Though Prof. Vincent retired in October 2004, he did not vacate his official residence on Akoka campus of the university until July, 2007. Members of staff are allowed to stay for six months after retirement.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

NEWS

War: China, India, Tajikistan, others to send troops to Russia

Published

on

China’s People’s Liberation Army will send troops to Russia to participate in the “East-2022” drills.

The East-2022 is also called the Vostok-2022 and this was disclosed by the Chinese Ministry of Defense on Wednesday, according to CNN.

“China’s participation in the exercise is aimed at deepening practical and friendly cooperation with the armies of the participating countries,” the ministry added.

It further explained that the Asian giants’ participation would enhance the level of strategic cooperation among countries involved.

The exercise would further strengthen the ability to respond to various security threats, according to the defense ministry.

It, however, added that the exercise is unrelated to the current international and regional situation.

Other nations to join in the exercise are India, Belarus, Tajikistan, Mongolia and other countries.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Buhari approves three orthopedic hospitals in Edo, Plateau, Taraba

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the establishment of three additional orthopedic hospitals.

Health Minister, Osagie Ehanire, made the announcement on Wednesday at the inauguration of the Primary Health Care(PHC) Leadership Challenge at the State House.

The event was organised by the Nigeria Governors’ Forum (NGF) in collaboration with development partners.

Ehanire disclosed that the President approved siting of the orthopedic hospital in three regions.

“North-East has one; the North-Central has one and the South-South has one; in Benin, Jos and Jalingo respectively”, NAN quoted him saying.

Finance Minister, Zainab Ahmed said N471.9 billion had been disbursed to states under the $1.5billion World Bank-Assisted States Fiscal Transparency Accountability and Sustainability (SFTAS) Programme.

She added that all the 36 states had fully domesticated the fiscal reforms in their public financial management system.

Buhari approves three orthopedic hospitals in Edo, Plateau, Taraba

Continue Reading

NEWS

BREAKING: Electricity workers call off strike

Published

on

National Union of Electricity Employees (NUEE) has called off its nationwide strike.

The decision followed an emergency meeting with the Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige on Wednesday.

The minister’s spokesman Olajide Oshundun, announced that Ngige intervened in the industrial action.

NUEE Secretary General, Joe Ajaero, assured that electricity would be restored across the country tonight.

The workers shut down all Transmission Companies of Nigeria (TCN) offices earlier today.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Latest News

Advertisement

Trending