Connect with us

latest

Troops clear Maiduguri-Biu road of land mines

Published

on

The Acting Director, Army Public Relations, Col. Sani Usman, has said the troops of the Nigerian Army have detonated land mines planted by the insurgents along the Maiduguri-Biu Road.

Usman said the road was now safe for usage as adequate security had been provide to ensure safety of commuters.

Usman whose comments were contained in an electronic mail on Sunday said the land mines were removed by the Special Forces Explosive Ordinance Devices Unit in collaboration with the police and the vigilance groups.

He said the team of security operatives successfully detonated four Improvised Explosive Devices planted by the insurgents during the operation.

The Acting Army Spokesman also advised the members of the public to be vigilant and security conscious and report suspicious movements to security operatives.

The insurgents had reportedly taken over a portion of the Maiduguri-Biu Road on Monday.

He said, “Please be informed that Maiduguri-Biu Road had been cleared of land mines by a team of Nigerian Army Special Forces, Explosives Ordinance Devices with support from Nigeria Police and local vigilance group.

“During the painstaking and thorough operation, four Improvised Explosive Devices planted by the suspected Boko Haram terrorists were discovered and successfully detonated.

“Commuters are encouraged to use the road as adequate security has been provided.

“The Nigerian Army wishes to further enjoin the public to be more security conscious and report any suspicious persons and movement to the security agents.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

latest

APPLY: WTO opens entry for 2022 young professionals programme

Published

on

The World Trade Organisation (WTO) has opened applications for its 2022 Young Professional Programme (YPP).
The programme provides opportunity for young professionals to enhance their knowledge of the organisation and international trade issues.

In 2021, 14 professionals out of 2,400 candidates were selected for the programme from Bangladesh, Belize, Dominican Republic, Eswatini, Guatemala, Georgia, Indonesia, Malawi, Mauritania, Namibia, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Chinese Taipei and Thailand.

WTO said “The YPP is a unique opportunity to gain hands-on experience which can help open the door for future professional opportunities in the field of multilateral diplomacy and global trade.

“The YPP selection gives preference to young professionals from developing and least-developed countries that are members of the WTO and whose nationals are currently under-represented or not represented in the organization’s Secretariat.

“The programme is part of the Secretariat’s overall goal to increase its diversity to better reflect the make-up of its membership.”

To be eligible, applicants must be of age 32 as of January 1, 2022, and selected candidates will work at the WTO secretariat for one year, starting from the beginning of next year.

The areas of work at the programme includes accessions, agriculture, dispute settlement, intellectual property rights, market access, media and external relations, WTO rules, trade and development, trade and environment, trade in services and investment, trade facilitation, trade policy analysis and trade-related technical assistance.

WTO said candidates must have advanced university degree in law, economics, or other international trade-related subjects relevant to WTO work; must possess relevant expertise or continued academic study in a field of interest to the work of the WTO.

Equally, candidates must similarly have a minimum of two years relevant work experience.

The trade organisation further said selected candidates will be paid $3821.66 (N1,454,141.63 million) monthly and applications can be accessed on the WTO e-Recruitment website and should be completed no later than 29 April 2021.

Continue Reading

latest

Buhari receives briefing from Osinbajo

Published

on

Vice President Yemi Osinbajo on Monday briefed President Muhammadu Buhari at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

The President had last Thursday returned to the country after a16-day medical trip to London, United Kingdom.

He left Nigeria on Tuesday, March 30, briefly after a security meeting with defense and intelligence chiefs as well as other security sector managers.

Continue Reading

latest

Gunmen attack Imo police station, kidnap officer

Published

on

Gunmen

A police officer has been abducted in an attack on Mbieri Divisional Police Headquarters in Mbaitoli Local Government Area of Imo state on Thursday morning.

This comes three days after the state Police Command headquarters and Owerri Correctional Center were attacked while 1,884 inmates released.

A resident of Mbieri said the gunmen released the suspects in custody.

However, the policemen on duty were said to have engaged the attackers in a gun duel but they were reportedly overpowered by the gunmen who had sophisticated weapons.

A community leader, Nokey Ebikam, told newsmen that the police divisional headquarters was not burnt but only freed the suspects in detention after vandalizing it.

Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Orlando Ikeokwu, confirmed the attack on the police station but did not go into details.

It was gathered that aside the officer who was abducted, two others sustained injuries in the incident which is the second major attack on a police station since an armed gang invaded the state police headquarters on Monday.

The Police authorities have blamed the attacks on the outlawed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) but the group has distanced itself from the attacks.

Continue Reading

Trending