Connect with us

SPORTS

Tottenham duo test positive for Covid and will miss Newcastle clash

Published

on

Tottenham duo test positive for Covid and will miss Newcastle clash

Tottenham ‘s plans for Sunday’s Premier League trip to Newcastle have been plunged into chaos after two players tested positive for coronavirus.

Both men, who trained with the group on Thursday, were shown to have contracted Covid-19 after tests in the last 24 hours.

The two unnamed players must now isolate for 10 days as per Government rules, keeping them out of the game at St James’ Park, a Europa Conference League match against Vitesse Arnhem and the London derby at West Ham next weekend.

The club are understood to be confident that no other players will have to isolate having come into close contact.

In his press conference on Friday afternoon, Spurs boss Nuno Espirito Santo admitted that he has been left with “huge issues” following the latest international break.

The news will bring more frustration for Nuno, who saw his side suffer in the wake of September’s international fixtures when some squad members returned injured and three South American players went to Croatia for 10 days in order to avoid hard quarantine in England.

Spurs signed off before the international break with a 2-1 win against Aston Villa, through a Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg strike and Matt Targett own goal either side of Ollie Watkins’ equaliser.

Nuno said earlier on Friday: “After the international break there are always huge issues that happen. We have problems but I will not say before the game.”

The match has additional garnered attention on top of the takeover after Steve Bruce’s predicament in the north east was settled for at the least the weekend, surviving the sack which makes Sunday his 1,000th match in management.

The ex-Manchester United defender has met Nuno on multiple occasions and the Spurs boss has paid tribute to him for the “extraordinary” feat.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

SPORTS

Real Madrid takes final decision to sign Pogba for free from Man Utd

Published

on

Real Madrid have finally pulled out of the race to sign Manchester United star, Paul Pogba, on a free transfer next summer.

Marca reports that Real Madrid made the decision they believe Pogba would not fit into their current squad.

The report added that Real Madrid’s priority is instead directed towards improving in other areas of the pitch, while also trying to tie down veteran midfielder Luka Modric to a new contract.

Pogba has been heavily linked with a move to Real Madrid in the past, with former Los Blancos manager, Zinedine Zidane, urging the club’s board to sign him on several occasions.

The 28-year-old is set to leave Man United when his current contract runs out at the end of the 2021/22 season.

The France international is free to sign a pre-contract agreement with foreign clubs from January 1, 2022.

Pogba, who is understood to be holding out for a salary rise which would see him overtake Cristiano Ronaldo as Man United’s highest-paid player in the Premier League, has also been linked with Juventus, Paris Saint-Germain and Barcelona in the past.

The midfielder is currently sidelined with a thigh injury he sustained on international duty with France.

Pogba is expected to return to action for Man United in January.

Continue Reading

SPORTS

Don’t include me – Brendan Rodgers speaks on Solskjaer’s replacement at Man United

Published

on

Leicester City boss, Brendan Rodgers has told journalists to remove him from the list of those being speculated as possible replacement for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer at Manchester United.

Rodgers dismissed the rumours that he is a leading contender for the Red Devils’ hot seat, insisting that the speculations are ‘not real’.

The Northern Irishman has so far been reported as one of the top contenders for the hotseat at the Theatre of Dreams.

Others being linked to the job include Paris Saint-Germain boss, Mauricio Pochettino; Zinedine Zidane, Eric ten Hag of Ajax, Luis Enrique, among others.

But Rodgers has ruled himself out of the run for the job by claiming that the speculation is ‘not real’.

Asked about United’s apparent interest, Rodgers told reporters ahead of Leicester City Europa League game on Thursday, “I don’t take it as anything. It’s not real. There’s always gossip and that will be there until they appoint a full-time manager.

“My commitment is to here. The culture here is about the development of the players, and that’s where I see it, even moreso in this period.

“I respect you guys have stories to do and to create a narrative, but that doesn’t include me.”

Continue Reading

SPORTS

Zidane learning English amid links to Man United

Published

on

Zinedine Zidane has become one of the favourites to replace Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in the Manchester United hot seat after a terrible run of form as seen the Red Devils lose six of their last 12 games.

Petit, who played alongside Zidane in the French national team, says the former Real Madrid manager is learning English to help with his ‘career’ but insists it is not due to the Manchester United links.

The former Arsenal midfielder ‘doesn’t believe’ Zidane will join Manchester United. He says the 49-year-old has ‘no connection’ with the Premier League and that it would be unlikely he would make the move.

if you do not speak the language when you arrive at a club like Manchester United, that could be a big problem.

‘I’ve been told that he has been learning English recently, so I think he knows it’s important for his career, but Zinedine being linked with Manchester United – I don’t believe it, to be honest.

‘Of course, he’s a big name but he never played in the Premier League and has very little connection with it, so as I said, I don’t believe it.’

Nevertheles, Zidane was reportedly ‘warming’ to the Manchester United job earlier this week as it would see him reunite with Cristiano Ronaldo and Raphael Varane.

Continue Reading

Trending