Connect with us

SPORTS

Super Falcons beat Cameroon to retain AWCON title

Published

on

Nigeria’s Super Falcons on Saturday in Yaoundé won the 2016 Women’s Africa Cup of Nations (AWCON) for the eighth time after beating hosts Cameroon 1-0 before a capacity 40 000 crowd.
An 84th minute goal from Desire Oparanozie was enough for Nigeria to retain the trophy they won in Namibia two years ago, when they beat the same Indomitable Lionesses 2-0.
The Super Falcons have dominated this competition, winning all but two of the 10 editions played so far.
In a repeat of the 2014 final, Cameroon finished as runners-up again despite enjoying massive home support.
In front of Cameroon president Paul Biya, the hosts had the best of the first half, with a number of chances for Aboudi Onguene.
But the Indomitable Lionesses failed to make the most of their opportunities, even with the Falcons looking like an average team and not the defending champions.
In the second half, Oparanozie, who also scored Nigeria’s winner against South Africa in their semi-final, hit the decisive goal again when she broke the deadlock seven minutes from time.
She followed through on a pass from the tournament’s leading scorer Asisat Oshoala to give her team the trophy.
The winning goal from Nigeria was a huge blow for the hosts and the thousands of fans who filled the 40,000 capacity Ahmadou Ahidjo stadium more than five hours before kick-off.
Security in the stadium was stepped up for the final because of the presence of President Paul Biya and roads were blocked for several kilometres around the stadium since early morning.
Thousands more supporters were locked outside after tickets were given out free as “invites’’.
There were three fan parks around Yaounde set up for people to see the game.
Ghana finished as bronze medallists after a 1-0 win over South Africa on Friday.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

SPORTS

Aguero warns Guardiola against selling Man City star

Published

on

Former Argentina striker, Sergio Aguero, has warned Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City against selling Bernardo Silva this summer.

Aguero said Silva is a great player, adding that he would be surprised if City under Guardiola let the Portugal international leave the Etihad this summer.

Silva has been linked with a move to LaLiga giants, Barcelona, this summer.

“Bernardo is a great player. He carries the ball, he sacrifices, has quality to assist and score goals, and he can play in different positions,” Aguero told Stake.

“It would surprise me if City let him go. He’s a player who contributes a lot every season, but everything is possible.

“If he finally arrives at Barca, then he’ll be someone who can be key to the possession game that Xavi likes.”

Continue Reading

SPORTS

Transfer: De Jong receives new offer as Chelsea confirm deal for 28-year-old defender

Published

on

Barcelona have tabled a new offer to midfielder Frenkie de Jong in a last-ditch attempt to maintain his services at the club this summer.

De Jong has been at the core of the summer transfer window’s longest saga, and now Chelsea have joined Premier League rivals Manchester United in the frame for the player’s signature.

Barcelona have insisted they don’t want to sell the Dutch star but will have to unless he accepts their new terms.

According to Sky Sports, those terms include a substantial pay cut and accepting a £6 million settlement for his deferred wages – thought to be worth £14m-£17m.

Meanwhile, Chelsea on Thursday confirmed that 28-year-old defender, Millie Bright, has signed a new contract with the club’s women’s team that will see him remain with the club for three more years.

Chelsea disclosed this in a statement via its website.

The statement read in part, “Following the summer of a lifetime bringing home the European Championship trophy for England, the Blues vice-captain has penned a new contract to extend her stay at the club for a further three years and continue her reign as Chelsea Women’s longest serving player.”

Continue Reading

SPORTS

Ballon d’Or 2022: Benzema boosts chance with Super Cup win

Published

on

Real Madrid captain, Karim Benzema boosted his chances of winning the Ballon d’Or this year, thanks to their 2-0 win over Frankfurt in the UEFA Super Cup on Wednesday night.

This ensured the 34-year-old lifted another piece of European silverware to their collection.

Just in May, Los Blancos clinched the Champions League title, beating Liverpool 1-0 in Paris, France.

Before that game, Madrid had been confirmed LaLiga champions, finishing 13 points ahead of Barcelona.

Benzema has scored 35 times in 37 games as Carlo Ancelotti’s men have won four trophies already in 2022.

This makes him a firm favourite for the Ballon d’Or prize that would be handed out later in the year.

The Blancos now start their LaLiga title defence against Almeria this weekend and will eye another Champions League crown, having little reason to doubt that they can run it all back again.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Latest News

Advertisement

Trending