Women’s World Cup winners Spain have ended their national team boycott after the Spanish FA (RFEF) agreed to ‘immediate and profound changes’.
Spain became champions of the world last month with victory over England in the final, but their achievements were overshadowed by the actions of RFEF president Luis Rubiales, who kissed player Jenni Hermoso on the lips during the presentation ceremony which sparked outrage and forced him to resign.
Spain’s players have demanded further changes following the scandal and last week 39 of them released a statement saying that Rubiales’ departure was ‘not enough for the players to feel in a safe place, where women are respected’.
New head coach Montse Tome, who replaced Jorge Vilda, selected 21 of the 39 for the national team following that statement but Spain’s women hit back and said that they were not willing to play for their country until changes were made.
But their boycott is now over after Spain’s women reached an agreement with the RFEF after more than seven hours of meetings between the players, Spanish FA officials, the National Sports Council (CSD) and the women’s players’ union FUTPRO.
‘A joint commission will be created between RFEF, CSD and players to follow up on the agreements, which will be signed tomorrow,’ CSD President Victor Francos said.
‘The players have expressed their concern about the need for profound changes in the RFEF, which has committed to making these changes immediately.’
FUTPRO president Amanda Gutierrez added: ‘The players see it as a rapprochement of positions. It is the beginning of a long road ahead of us.
‘Once again, they have shown themselves to be coherent and the vast majority have decided to stay for the sake of this agreement.’
Spain are set to face Sweden in Gothenburg on Friday before taking on Switzerland in Cordoba on September 26.