Connect with us

NEWS

Southern leaders fault Buhari’s appointments, increasing Boko Haram activities

Published

on

President Buhari Loses Second Nephew In 23 Days

Eminent leaders from the southern part of the country under the auspices of Southern Nigeria Peoples Assembly (SNPA) on Tuesday faulted appointments so far made by President Muhammadu Buhari, describing them as lopsided.

They also decried the increasing activities of Boko Haram militants.

The leaders who complained about what they called politicisation of the war against corruption by the federal government, said the war should not be targeted at the opposition or one sided.

The leaders including Bishop Emmanuel Bolanle Gbonigi, Chief Edwin Clark, Chief Alex Ekwueme, retired Gen. Akin Aduwo, Senator Ngod Denton-West, Ndogesit Ekanga, Senator Femi Okunronmu and Dr Kunle Olajide among others advised the president to intensify the war against insurgency.

Gbonigi, the chairman and leader of the South-west delegates, said the fight against corruption by the Buhari administration was one sided and the government should do everything to reverse the trend.

While commending Buhari for the war against corruption and the setting up of Prof Itse Sagay Presidential Advisory Panel on anti-corruption, Gbonigi  appealed to the president to be total and non-selective in the fight.

On lopsidedness of appointments made so far, the bishop said: “Elections are over and President Buhari is president of Nigeria and Nigerians. No section of the country should be over-patronised at the expense of others. It is our sincere hope that the lopsidedness in the appointments made by Mr. President to date is not an indication of the trend of future appointments.

“The constitution must be respected and the diversity of Nigeria must be reflect in all appointments to guarantee stability, unity, peace and progress. A situation where the President, Senate President, Speaker and Chief Justice are from the North is not acceptable.

“The South is not subservient to the North and the situation in which only the deputies are zoned to the South is not acceptable.”

Clark who said at 89 years he was no longer a member of any political party added: “It is my strong, irrevocable view that the fundamental state directive principles and federal character shall not only be respected but must be seen to be adhered to by government for the overall interest and good of all Nigerians.”

On the fight against corruption, Clark said the war must not be selective, limited to perceived political enemy or to score cheap political points but be holistic and made to save Nigeria from depression.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

NEWS

NAHCON screens 7 airlines for 2022 hajj

Published

on

NAHCON

The National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) has commenced the screening of airlines that would participate in the airlift of the pilgrims.

No fewer than seven airlines have indicated an interest in the airlift.

They are Azman Air, Med-View Airline, Max Air, FlyNas, Skypower Express, Westlink Airlines and Arik Air.

Out of the seven airlines, six are domestic operators while FlyNas is a Saudi based airline.

It was gathered that the screening exercise would be a verification of the documents of the interested carriers that turned up in 2020 following the call from NAHCON.

The airlines were already screened in 2020 before the Hajj exercise was cancelled due to the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic.

“They are using the 2020 template but we were only asked to validate our documents,” one of the airlines participating in the verification exercise confirms to our correspondent.

It was not clear yet if NAHCON would apply the same rule which would give over 50 per cent of the traffic to Saudi Airlines which stakeholders in the aviation sector have consistently kicked against.

When contacted, the NAHCON spokesperson, Hajia Fatima Sanda Usara, confirmed that there was an arrangement in place to use the 2020 screening exercise.

She said the screening committee had just been inaugurated to verify the documents of the Air carriers.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Deborah Samuel: Adeboye postpones RCCG crusade in Sokoto

Published

on

Pastor Enoch Adeboye has postponed the crusade scheduled to hold in Sokoto following the tension over Deborah Samuel’s murder.

The deceased was a 200-level Home Economics student of the Shehu Shagari College of Education.

Last Thursday, she was beaten, stoned and burnt by Muslim youths who accused her of blasphemy.

In a Facebook post Monday night, Adeboye announced the shift of the planned religious event which now holds virtually.

The Redeemed Christan Church of God (RCCG) General Overseer, however, noted that God is able to fix all situations.

Adeboye, who conveyed his message in parable, quoted Richard Halverson, the late American Presbyterian minister who served as United States Senate chaplain.

Halverson had said intercession is the universal work for Christians and that no continent, nation, city, office nor power can stop prayers.

“Postponed but God turned it around. We Trust In Our God’s Big Picture Plan!”, Adeboye wrote.

The Christian leader insisted believers serve a God who specialises in using the impossible situation for His glory.

Adeboye noted that if in doubt, they should look closely at the death and resurrection of Jesus.

“Devil thought he killed Him, but His death and resurrection resulted into life for many. He keeps turning it around for our good. It is in this might that we proceed”, he added.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Deborah Samuel: Gov Tambuwal relaxes curfew

Published

on

Governor Aminu Tambuwal of Sokoto State government has relaxed the 24-hour curfew he imposed on the state capital following violent protest over the arrest of some youths allegedly involved in the killing Deborah Samuel, a 200-level student.

Tambuwal in a statement issued by his Commissioner for Information and Orientation, Isah Bajini, said the revised curfew will now be from dusk to dawn in Sokoto township.

The statement noted that “Sequel to the briefing by the security heads in the State, the State Governor, Rt Hon Aminu Waziri Tambuwal has ordered the relaxation of the 24-hour curfew in force in Sokoto metropolis

“The revised curfew will now be from dusk to dawn in Sokoto township. This is with a view to affording people the window to pursue their legitimate businesses and other means of livelihood.”

Recall that following the lynching of the 200-level student for allegedly insulting Prophet Mohammed, the State’s police command arrested some persons linked to the incident.

However, a large number of Muslim boys who were angered by the arrest, stormed the streets in the State on Saturday, demanding the release of the suspects.

The development, which triggered tension in several parts of the State, made the Governor to impose the curfew.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Latest News

Advertisement

Trending