Connect with us

SPORTS

Ralf Rangnick tells Erik ten Hag what Man Utd need as he confirms “players will leave”

Published

on

Rangnick tells Ten Hag what Man Utd need as he confirms "players will leave"

Ralf Rangnick is still waiting to chat with new Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag, but has sent a message to the man who will replace him in the Old Trafford dugout.

Last week, Ten Hag was appointed as United’s permanent first-team manager on a three-year deal and will take over at the end of the season. Interim boss Rangnick is set to stay on in an advisory role, despite agreeing to become the new head coach of the Austrian national team.

It is understood that the German will be kept on to advise the new boss on issues regarding recruitment as United look to climb the long ladder back to the top of English football. Despite Monday night’s win against Brentford, it is almost impossible for them to reach the Champions League and have failed to win a single trophy since 2017.

The win over the Bees marks the final home game of the season and a time to reflect on a slew of first-team players who have now likely played their last game in front of United home supporters. Nemanja Matic has already confirmed his exit, while the likes of Jesse Lingard, Juan Mata and Paul Pogba are all out of contract and able to leave as free agents.

There promises to be a dramatic overhaul of the playing staff during Ten Hag’s first window in charge and Rangnick has confirmed that a number of players will be moved on in the coming weeks and months.

“It’s obvious quite a few players will leave and there is a need for top-quality players. I strongly believe that if everyone works together we can bring Man Utd back to where we need to be,” the 63-year-old explained.

Asked about his discussions with Ten Hag, he added: “So far we haven’t been able to speak. Erik’s focus is on winning the Dutch league, our focus was on our games.”

Last month’s thrashing by Liverpool at Anfield brought into focus the scale of the task facing the Ajax boss, with Rangnick suggesting that the rebuild could take six years before they are fully competitive with the Premier League ’s best.

But he has somewhat backtracked on that sentiment and assured supporters that if they can get recruitment right, the process will be expedited. “Other clubs only needed two or three transfer windows to challenge but from now on we need to bring in top-quality players who really help raise the level. If this happens then I don’t think it should take too long.”

Ahead of his first meeting with Ten Hag, Rangnick has told Old Trafford bosses that their focus in the window should be on finding “future top star players and developing them.”

He told Sky Sports: “It’s not only identifying those players but meeting them, convincing them to join this club, even though we will not be playing in the Champions League.

“It’s not only identifying those players but meeting them, convincing them to join this club, even though we will not be playing in the Champions League.”

SPORTS

Guardiola reacts as Haaland fumes over not scoring hat-trick against West Ham

Published

on

Manchester City manager, Pep Guardiola, has said Erling Haaland’s anger at not scoring a hat-trick against West Ham, reminded him of Lionel Messi.

Haaland grabbed both goals as the Premier League champions began defence of their title with a 2-0 win at the London Stadium.

The Norway striker converted a first-half penalty, before running onto Kevin De Bruyne’s pass to complete a brace on his City debut.

In a post-match interview, Haaland said it was “a bit s***’” that he was unable to score one more, before being substituted in the closing stages.”

But Guardiola said the player’s reaction was what he would expect from a top player.

“I was fortunate to be with [Lionel] Messi.

“When he scores two, he wants three, when he scores three, he wants four. All the top players are the same.

“They are never satisfied, always hungry, starving for goals, and want more, but at same time, I have to use other players,” Guardiola said.

Continue Reading

SPORTS

Ten Hag to sign two strikers after 2-1 defeat to Brighton

Published

on

Manchester United have opened talks to sign Benjamin Sesko and Marko Arnautovic, ESPN reports.

United have contacted Bologna about Arnautovic, who has previously played in the Premier League for Stoke and West Ham.

United manager, Erik ten Hag, has pressed the club to sign an experienced forward who would be content with a back up role off the bench.

Arnautovic is 33 years old and Ten Hag is a fan of the player after working together at FC Twente.

The move for Arnautovic is considered separate from that of Sesko.

Chelsea are also interested in the 19-year-old, although Salzburg would rather keep him until next summer.

Ten Hag was asked after the 2-1 defeat against Brighton on Sunday about the need for new players.

The Dutchman replied: “I don’t go into names and I think in this preseason, 250 players are involved or linked with Man United, so that’s it.

“We have two strikers [Ronaldo and Martial], maybe a third one, [Marcus] Rashford.

“We considered him as a striker, but he had a really good season on the left side and he had two really good chances but the typical nine wasn’t available today.”

Continue Reading

SPORTS

Tobi Amusan wins 100m hurdles gold

Published

on

Nigeria’s Tobi Amusan has won the gold medal in the women’s 100m hurdles at the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham.

The world champion successfully defended her title at the Alexander stadium on Sunday.

This is coming days after she won gold and bagged the world record at the World Athletics Championships in the US.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Latest News

Advertisement

Trending