Connect with us

POLITICS

Presidency, PDP disagree over invasion of A’Ibom House

Published

on

 

The Peoples Democratic Party and the Presidency on Sunday engaged in a war of words over Friday’s invasion of the Akwa-Ibom State Government House by the operatives of the Department of State Services, DSS.

While the PDP accused the Presidency of being behind the invasion, the Presidency asked Nigerians to ignore the “defeated political party”, saying it has yet to recover from its loss at the polls.

The PDP said it would no longer stomach the continued and unlawful use of state apparatus by the All Progressives Congress-led Federal Government to harass its elected officials at all levels across the country.

The party said the APC-led government had crossed the line in unleashing the DSS, now under the leadership of Lawal Daura, on the Akwa-Ibom State Government House, Uyo, in violation of the “constitutional immunity of the government house.”

The PDP National Publicity Secretary, Olisa Metuh, in a statement in Abuja on Sunday, noted that the invasion was a clear recipe for what he described as a constitutional crisis, civil unrest and avoidable anarchy in the land.

He called on Nigerians and the international community “to take copious note of the act”.

Metuh said the PDP’s investigations had shown that the DSS acted on the express orders of the APC’s Presidency, which he said had been in a desperate bid to destabilise and forcefully take over Akwa-Ibom and other PDP states.

He said, “We have information that the DSS, acting on the instructions of the Presidency, occupied the Akwa-Ibom State Government House, ransacking guest houses for no just cause.

“If such terror can be unleashed on a state government, one can only imagine the fate of regular citizens in the hands of this administration that has continued to show unparalleled disdain for constitutional order, with heinous penchant for oppression.

“We have also been made aware of plans by the APC government to stage similar invasions and unlawful assaults on other PDP states, including Rivers, Delta, Abia and Taraba, where electoral officers are already being hounded and harassed by the DSS, who are also directly interfering in the activities of the election tribunals, in furtherance of the APC’s desperation to take over these states.

Metuh added that he could recall a similar action in July, when he alleged that the police sealed local councils in Rivers State and barred caretaker committee members lawfully appointed by the state government from taking charge of the councils.

While restating that the PDP lost a general election and not a war, he said that states under the control of his party should not be seen as occupied territories but part of the Nigerian nation.

He said citizens of such states were not prisoners of war, but free citizens in a democratic state.

“We invite Nigerians and the international community to note that never in the history of our democracy have we witnessed such a divisive government, whose actions and constitutional violations have so polarised the polity along its fault lines, while undermining national unity and cohesion, a development that spells doom for our democracy, if left unchecked.

“Finally, we wish to state categorically that as citizens of this country, we can no longer continue to stomach such brazen attacks on our members and elected officials.

“The PDP will therefore hold several leadership and stakeholders’ meetings to come up with its response to this bare-faced assault on our democracy. Enough is enough!”

But the Presidency, in its reaction, said that the PDP did not know what it was saying.

The Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, said in a text message on Sunday that the PDP had yet to recover from the beating it received from Nigerians during the last elections.

He said, “The PDP has got to a level of paranoia. While we ignore their rantings, we also sympathise with them because they are still reeling from the bloody nose Nigerians gave them at the polls.

“It takes a long time to recover from such a buffeting, and that is why they imagine vain things.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

POLITICS

VIDEO: Pirates mock Bola Tinubu over ‘Emi Lokan’

Published

on

A group allegedly identified as Pirates Confraternity has been spotted in a viral video mocking the All Progressives Congress presidential candidate for the 2023 polls, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

Members of the group, dressed in white and red attire, played on Tinubu’s buzz word: “Emi Lokan,” with a song.

They said despite Tinubu’s failing health, he was still shouting Emi lokan, which means it is my turn.

They sang: “Emi lokan.

“Baba wey no well, him dey shout Emi lokan.

“Hand dey shake, leg dey shake, baba wey no well, him dey shout Emi lokan.”

“Emi lokan” became a popular word associated with the APC presidential candidate after his outburst on June 3, 2022 when he vented his frustration during a presidential campaign in Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital, saying it was through his efforts that President Muhammadu Buhari made it to Aso Rock after failing thrice.

He also pointed at the Ogun State Governor, Prince Dapo Abiodun, who he described as “Eleyi{, being one of the products of his political hard work.

“Look at this one (Eleyi) seated behind me, Dapo, he wouldn’t have become governor without my support,” Tinubu had stated.

Tinubu made the statement while addressing the APC delegates in Ogun State.

His outburst evoked mixed feelings from Nigerians, with many loyalists of the party, including the National Chairman, Senator Abdullahi Adamu, saying the remarks were meant to slight the President and Ogun State governor.

Twenty-four hours after the drama, the Bola Tinubu Media Campaign Team dismissed insinuations that the presidential candidate disrespected the Ogun State governor.

The Director of the BAT Campaign Team, Bayo Onanuga, said that the comment was “mischievously interpreted.”

Continue Reading

POLITICS

‘With what I have done, my re-election will be easy’- Sanwo-Olu

Published

on

The Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has said he is confident that citizens of the state will re-elect him during the 2023 election based on his experience of governance.

Sanwo-Olu stated this during the Sunday Politics programme aired on Channels Television on Sunday

In response to the question about the viability of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) governorship candidate, Dr. Olajide Adediran, and his running mate, Funke Akindele, the governor noted that the politics of Lagos State is not a circus and requires competent hands in order to steer the ship of the state.

He said, “If you have an emergency at 3 am, who would you call, what are your chances? Will you call a man that has the experience that has gone through the trenches before, that lives with it, that understands what the issues are and that appreciates what challenge you have even at that 3am? Or will you leave your chance to a man who does not know where the dial is and does not know what the issue of governance is?

“This is Lagos, this is an informed audience. This is not a tea party. We are talking of real governance and the lives of over 20 million Nigerians bigger than the economy of Ghana or Kenya which is in itself a country. It is not a circus, it is a real thing and I don’t want to spite anyone because I have respect for all of the candidates that have emerged and the candidate of the particular party you are talking about.

“But how do you begin to start, what about his pedigree? You can’t run a business of 100 people but you want to run an economy. The governance of Lagos is not a trial and error, you need to hit the ground running. Lagosians have seen the experience and they will vote for a man that will roll up his sleeves to keep the city safe, the biggest and safest city, that provides opportunities for people, and that is Babajide Sanwo-Olu.”

Sanwo-Olu also explained that the state has psychologically recovered from the effects of the #EndSARS protests, but the infrastructural recovery would take a much longer time.

He added, “I can say that we have recovered psychologically, but we are still working out the infrastructural recovery because infrastructure is not something that you can finish in one day, so the infrastructural renewal is still an ongoing budgetary allocation. For example, regarding the major court in Lagos, the Igbosere High Court, we are planning a 15-storey edifice that will take about 60 courts at once. It will be an imposing structure we are bringing back and this will take time.

“However, in terms of the psychology of the people, I believe that the city and myself have learned and understood our lessons because it was collateral damage that ought to have had nothing to do with it. In the last two years, people are more discerning and they can indeed see the reality of a one-day perception and a two-year perception.

“We are not taking anybody or anything for granted and conversations are going and what they want is not about what has happened but what this government is doing to improve each and every one of us, and what opportunities the government is providing for young people.”

Continue Reading

POLITICS

Buhari’s nephew dumps APC after reportedly meeting Atiku

Published

on

Fatuhu Muhammad dumps APC

Fatuhu Muhammad, a member representing Daura/Sandamu/Maiadua Federal Constituency, has dumped the All Progressives Congress, APC.

Muhammad, who is President Muhammadu Buhari’s nephew, announced his resignation in a letter addressed to APC Chairman of Sarkin Yara’ A’ Ward, Daura.

He dumped the party after losing during the Party’s primary election to Aminu Jamu.

Muhammad’s decision followed a meeting with Atiku Abubakar, the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, presidential candidate.

The letter reads: “This is to notify you that I have resigned my membership from the All Progressives Congress with immediate effect.

“Attached herewith is my Party Membership Registration slip with slip No. KT/DRA/10/00002.

“While I thank you and the Party for the opportunity given to me to serve the interest of the people of Daura/ Sandamu/ Mai ‘Adua Federal Constituency while working with the Party, accept my best wishes.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Latest News

Advertisement

Trending