Labour leaders in Osun State on Monday suspended the strike action embarked upon by workers in the state over the nonpayment of their salaries by the state government.
The Chairman of the Nigeria Labour Congress in the state, Mr. Jacob Adekomi, who announced to journalists that the strike had been suspended, said the decision was taken after the government and labour representatives had signed a Memorandum of Understanding on the issue.
The NLC chairman said workers agreed to suspend the strike, which started on May 26 because the state government would begin payment of January and February 2015 salaries as from Monday(today) while the remaining salaries would be paid with the bailout still being expected from the Federal Government.
A copy of the MoU, made available to journalists, showed that the Head of Service, Mr. Sunday Owoeye, led the permanent secretaries of Ministries of Justice, Finance and Human Resources and Capacity Building/Public Service, to sign the document.
The NLC chairman, Secretary, Rufus Adeyemi; Chairman, Joint Public Service Negotiating Council, Bayo Adejumo; and Secretary, JPSNC, Richard Oyegbami, signed the documents on behalf of the labour unions.
The MoU read, “Both parties, therefore, agreed to enter into this Memorandum of Understanding in anticipation of the bailout expected from the Federal Government on the issue of settlement of salary arrears and to show the state government’s commitment to the welfare of its workforce, having in mind the need to data towards the completion of the physical verification exercise of workers and retirees in the public service.
“The labour unions will suspend the ongoing strike on the basis of the Memorandum of Understanding to allow all public service personnel audit and verification exercise as well as auditing of local government staff/ primary school teachers and retires take place.”
The document stated that the screening was not a witch-hunt or meant to retrench any worker, adding that the exercise would enable the government to know the actual number of workers in the employ of the state.
APPLY: WTO opens entry for 2022 young professionals programme
The World Trade Organisation (WTO) has opened applications for its 2022 Young Professional Programme (YPP).
The programme provides opportunity for young professionals to enhance their knowledge of the organisation and international trade issues.
In 2021, 14 professionals out of 2,400 candidates were selected for the programme from Bangladesh, Belize, Dominican Republic, Eswatini, Guatemala, Georgia, Indonesia, Malawi, Mauritania, Namibia, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Chinese Taipei and Thailand.
WTO said “The YPP is a unique opportunity to gain hands-on experience which can help open the door for future professional opportunities in the field of multilateral diplomacy and global trade.
“The YPP selection gives preference to young professionals from developing and least-developed countries that are members of the WTO and whose nationals are currently under-represented or not represented in the organization’s Secretariat.
“The programme is part of the Secretariat’s overall goal to increase its diversity to better reflect the make-up of its membership.”
To be eligible, applicants must be of age 32 as of January 1, 2022, and selected candidates will work at the WTO secretariat for one year, starting from the beginning of next year.
The areas of work at the programme includes accessions, agriculture, dispute settlement, intellectual property rights, market access, media and external relations, WTO rules, trade and development, trade and environment, trade in services and investment, trade facilitation, trade policy analysis and trade-related technical assistance.
WTO said candidates must have advanced university degree in law, economics, or other international trade-related subjects relevant to WTO work; must possess relevant expertise or continued academic study in a field of interest to the work of the WTO.
Equally, candidates must similarly have a minimum of two years relevant work experience.
The trade organisation further said selected candidates will be paid $3821.66 (N1,454,141.63 million) monthly and applications can be accessed on the WTO e-Recruitment website and should be completed no later than 29 April 2021.
Buhari receives briefing from Osinbajo
Vice President Yemi Osinbajo on Monday briefed President Muhammadu Buhari at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
The President had last Thursday returned to the country after a16-day medical trip to London, United Kingdom.
He left Nigeria on Tuesday, March 30, briefly after a security meeting with defense and intelligence chiefs as well as other security sector managers.
Gunmen attack Imo police station, kidnap officer
A police officer has been abducted in an attack on Mbieri Divisional Police Headquarters in Mbaitoli Local Government Area of Imo state on Thursday morning.
This comes three days after the state Police Command headquarters and Owerri Correctional Center were attacked while 1,884 inmates released.
A resident of Mbieri said the gunmen released the suspects in custody.
However, the policemen on duty were said to have engaged the attackers in a gun duel but they were reportedly overpowered by the gunmen who had sophisticated weapons.
A community leader, Nokey Ebikam, told newsmen that the police divisional headquarters was not burnt but only freed the suspects in detention after vandalizing it.
Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Orlando Ikeokwu, confirmed the attack on the police station but did not go into details.
It was gathered that aside the officer who was abducted, two others sustained injuries in the incident which is the second major attack on a police station since an armed gang invaded the state police headquarters on Monday.
The Police authorities have blamed the attacks on the outlawed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) but the group has distanced itself from the attacks.
- Terrorists take over Kaduna community, ban political activities
- U.S. Treasury yields start the week higher as traders assess rate hikes, recession risk
- Justice Tanko Muhammad resigns as CJN
- Kendall Jenner basks in the sun completely nude amid Devin Booker split
- EPL: Barcelona demand one Man Utd player to approve De Jong transfer
NEWS16 hours ago
Kendall Jenner basks in the sun completely nude amid Devin Booker split
NEWS17 hours ago
Tanko Muhammad set to resign as CJN
SPORTS1 day ago
Bayern Munich give Barcelona one condition to sell Lewandowski
NEWS1 day ago
IPOB accuses Buhari of lying to world about Kanu
NEWS1 day ago
Woman claims King Sunny Ade is her biological father, says ‘I’m not after his fame or money’
NEWS1 day ago
Igboho announces plan to return to Nigeria
NEWS17 hours ago
2023 presidency: Tinubu jets out to France
SPORTS17 hours ago
EPL: Barcelona demand one Man Utd player to approve De Jong transfer