Connect with us

SPORTS

Oshoala awarded BBC’s women’s footballer of the year

Published

on

Nigeria and Liverpool Ladies striker Asisat Oshoala has won the BBC Women’s Footballer of the Year award after a vote by fans around the world, the broadcaster announced on Tuesday.

The 20-year-old picked up the prize in Canada, where she is preparing for the women’s World Cup at which she will star for the Super Falcons.

She was the youngest player on a shortlist of Veronica Boquete (FFC Frankfurt and Spain), Nadine Kessler (VFL Wolfsburg and Germany), Kim Little (Seattle Reign FC and Scotland) and Marta (FC Rosengard and Brazil).

Oshoala, who signed for Liverpool in January, said she felt “very happy and appreciated” at winning, adding: “It’s a very good thing for me and also motivation for the World Cup.

“I had a very good 2014 and had the opportunity of going to the under-20’s Women’s World Cup with Nigeria and I also won the Golden Ball and Golden Boot, so I think maybe that added to the reason why people voted for me.”

Nigeria’s under-20s lost to Germany in the final.

The Super Falcons are making their seventh straight appearance at the World Cup, which starts on June 6, and hoping to improve on their best performance of reaching the quarter-finals in 1999.

They face the United States, Sweden and Australia in the group stages.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

SPORTS

Isco completes shock move to Real Madrid’s LaLiga rival

Published

on

Isco completes shock move to Real Madrid’s LaLiga rival

Isco has joined Sevilla as a free agent, the Spanish club confirmed on Monday.

The midfielder has been without a club since his contract with Real Madrid expired in June.

Isco has now put pen-to-paper on a two-year deal with Sevilla.

He becomes the LaLiga side’s third summer signing after Brazilian defender, Marcao came from Galatasaray and Brazil left-back Alex Telles on loan from Manchester United.

Isco will be reunited with former Spain and Real Madrid manager Julen Lopetegui.

The 30-year-old made 17 appearances for Real last season, only starting three matches.

Sevilla finished fourth in LaLiga last season and will play in the Champions League this campaign.

Continue Reading

SPORTS

Guardiola reacts as Haaland fumes over not scoring hat-trick against West Ham

Published

on

Manchester City manager, Pep Guardiola, has said Erling Haaland’s anger at not scoring a hat-trick against West Ham, reminded him of Lionel Messi.

Haaland grabbed both goals as the Premier League champions began defence of their title with a 2-0 win at the London Stadium.

The Norway striker converted a first-half penalty, before running onto Kevin De Bruyne’s pass to complete a brace on his City debut.

In a post-match interview, Haaland said it was “a bit s***’” that he was unable to score one more, before being substituted in the closing stages.”

But Guardiola said the player’s reaction was what he would expect from a top player.

“I was fortunate to be with [Lionel] Messi.

“When he scores two, he wants three, when he scores three, he wants four. All the top players are the same.

“They are never satisfied, always hungry, starving for goals, and want more, but at same time, I have to use other players,” Guardiola said.

Continue Reading

SPORTS

Ten Hag to sign two strikers after 2-1 defeat to Brighton

Published

on

Manchester United have opened talks to sign Benjamin Sesko and Marko Arnautovic, ESPN reports.

United have contacted Bologna about Arnautovic, who has previously played in the Premier League for Stoke and West Ham.

United manager, Erik ten Hag, has pressed the club to sign an experienced forward who would be content with a back up role off the bench.

Arnautovic is 33 years old and Ten Hag is a fan of the player after working together at FC Twente.

The move for Arnautovic is considered separate from that of Sesko.

Chelsea are also interested in the 19-year-old, although Salzburg would rather keep him until next summer.

Ten Hag was asked after the 2-1 defeat against Brighton on Sunday about the need for new players.

The Dutchman replied: “I don’t go into names and I think in this preseason, 250 players are involved or linked with Man United, so that’s it.

“We have two strikers [Ronaldo and Martial], maybe a third one, [Marcus] Rashford.

“We considered him as a striker, but he had a really good season on the left side and he had two really good chances but the typical nine wasn’t available today.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Latest News

Advertisement

Trending