Connect with us

POLITICS

New Ondo Deputy Governor, others set to dump PDP for APC

Published

on

Another political war is looming between Governor Olusegun Mimiko and his newly appointed Deputy Governor, Alhaji Lasisi Oluboyo, over an alleged plan by the the governor’s lieutenants to decamp to All Progressives Congress (APC).

Oluboyo is perfecting his plan with a bunch of lawmakers and four commissioners to follow the same step taken by his predecessor, Alhaji Ali Olanusi, who joined APC few days to the 2015 presidential election.

The earlier plan of Olanusi and APC leaders was for him to decamp and the party to secure majority seats in the State Assembly, thereby creating avenue to impeach Mimiko.

But, their hope was dashed as Mimiko secured majority by winning 21, while APC has five seats.

Consequently, the lawmakers quickly impeached Olanusi to deny him the opportunity of becoming an obstacle to Mimiko’s government

However, sources inform our correspondent that the APC leaders are not relenting in their efforts not to allow Mimiko to complete his term as they are in touch with the newly appointed Deputy Governor.

It was easy for APC leaders to get Oluboyo to their side due to his relationship with the impeached deputy governor, Olanusi.

It was learnt that Oluboyo, who is from Ikare-Akoko was one of the boys of Olanusi during their days in Labour Party (LP).

Oluboyo was said to be planning earlier to decamp with Olanusi to APC after the general elections before he was made deputy governor.

Oluboyo, Olanusi with some prominent members of Mimiko’s camp met with APC leaders in Lagos State early last month to perfect their plans to decamp to the ruling party.

Sensing another danger, Mimiko was said to have called some of his political confidants on how to quench the fire his new deputy is stoking.

It was gathered that the deputy governor, who is a former commissioner for Agriculture, is yet to receive his impress as a deputy governor after two months in office.

“Their plan is to frustrate Mimiko from producing his successor. They are on top of their games and I am very sure they will strike very soon. But Mimiko is an experienced politician that cannot be pushed aside in this kind of game.

“Part of the ways to deal with Oluboyo is that he had been placed on security watch. Go and confirm from anybody in the inner caucus of government if Oluboyo has been paid his impress as deputy governor? He is still receiving the impress of a commissioner. Remember he was the commissioner for Agriculture before he was elevated. Oluboyo is just a Commissioner dressed in Deputy Governor’s robe”. The source stated.

Oluboyo, when contacted, refused to pick up his phones as at the time of filing this report.

But one of the deputy governor’s aides, who did not want his name mentioned because of how sensitive the matter is, confirmed the relationship between Oluboyo and his predecessor, Olanusi.

But he said Oluboyo has always ensured he distanced himself from Olanusi due to the frosty relationship between Mimiko and Olanusi since he has been sworn-in.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

POLITICS

Why I won’t congratulate Oyebanji as Ekiti gov-elect – Oni, SDP candidate

Published

on

Segun Oni

The candidate of the Social Democratic Party (SDP) in the just-concluded governorship election in Ekiti State, Chief Segun Oni on Saturday said he would not congratulate the winner, Biodun Oyebanji, because the election was not free and fair but marred by many irregularities.

Oni, a former governor of the state, said he would challenge the outcome in court.

 Oyebanji of the ruling All Progressives Congress(APC) secured 187,057 votes to defeat Oni who polled 82,211, and Bisi Kolawole of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) who scored 67, 457 votes.

Speaking in an interview with Punch, Oni described Oyebanji’s victory as daylight robbery.

He said he does not agree with the election results as declared by INEC.

“If I agreed, I would have congratulated the winner. That is why I am withholding my congratulations. If investigations show that it was won fair and square, I will not need any persuasions before I will congratulate everybody that needs to be congratulated.”

He, however, thanked the people of the state for their support during the election.

Continue Reading

POLITICS

Tinubu denies meeting with Wike

Published

on

e presidential candidate of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) for the 2023 election, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu has denied media reports that he met with the Governor of Rivers State, Nyesom Wike, in France.

Tinubu in a statement through his media aide, Tunde Rahman said although he is presently in France, he didn’t have any meeting with Governor Wike whether in that country or anywhere whatsoever.

The Special Adviser to the Governor of Lagos State on Drainage and Water Resources, Mr Joe Igbokwe, on his Facebook page on Thursday said Wike was having a meeting with Tinubu in France.

Igbokwe, a former spokesperson for the APC in Lagos State, wrote, “While they are on social media abusing everybody, Governor Wike goes to France to meet Asiwaju. Abuse, calling names, hate and bigotry are no strategy. They hated and abused PMB (President Muhammadu Buhari) since 2015 and now they have transferred the aggression to Asiwaju. We wait and see.”

But in his statement on Friday, Rahman dismissed Igbokwe’s post.

He said, “We have seen a viral social media post made by one of the chieftains of All Progressives Congress in Lagos State and media reports emanating from same about a supposed meeting in France between APC presidential standard-bearer, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, and His Excellency, Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State.

“It has become imperative to set the record straight. Although Asiwaju Tinubu is presently in France, he didn’t have any meeting with Governor Wike whether in that country or anywhere whatsoever. This, however, does not detract from the fact that the APC presidential candidate holds Governor Wike in high esteem. And given the national and across-party lines appeal of Asiwaju Tinubu’s candidature, he will not hesitate to meet any important national leader when desirable.”

Continue Reading

POLITICS

INEC extends PVC registration, issues warning to APC, PDP, others

Published

on

INEC insists APGA won’t participate in Anambra guber poll

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has told political parties in the country that it would not extend the July 15, 2022 deadline for nomination of governorship and state assembly candidates.

Festus Okoye, National Commissioner in charge of Information and Voter Education Committee, made this known in a statement on Thursday.

Okoye also stated that Continuous Voter Registration (VR) will continue nationwide.

According to him, the Resident Electoral Commissioners and Electoral Officers have been directed to continue with the exercise pending further directives from the Commission.

”The Commission has consistently reiterated its resolve to continue to provide electoral services to the Nigerian people and register all eligible Nigerians that are interested in registering. The Commission has yet again deployed additional machines to areas of pressure and will continue to serve the people of Nigeria.

“By the Timetable and Schedule of Activities released by the Commission, Political Parties that conducted valid Governorship and State Assembly primaries shall upload the list and personal particulars of their nominated candidates between 1st and 15th July 2022.

“Political parties are advised not to wait until the last day before uploading the list and personal particulars of their candidates. The Candidates Nomination Portal will shut down at 6pm on 15th July 2022.”

He therefore urged political parties who have challenges with uploading documents to contact the Commission’s Help – Desk, through the dedicated telephone lines or contact the candidate nomination centre at the Commission’s headquarters.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Latest News

Advertisement

Trending