The Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Information, Dr. Sade Yemi-Esan, on Tuesday said the Nigerian Broadcasting Corporation has succeeded in stopping the signal of Radio Biafra because it was not licensed.
Yemi-Esan disclosed this to State House correspondents shortly after briefing President Muhammadu Buhari of her ministry’s activities inside the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
She said the commission was currently working with security agencies to apprehend those behind the illegal radio.
She said, “We also gave a report on Radio Biafra. Right now, the signals from the radio have been jammed successfully by the NBC.
“The commission is also working with security agencies to get those that are behind that radio because it is an illegal radio. It is not licensed by anybody to be on the airwaves in Nigeria.”
She added that the President had directed her ministry to put machinery in place to end the scourge of piracy in the nation’s movie industry.
She said the President gave a clear directive that the ministry must work hard to ensure that film producers get what is due to them.
“The President raised concerns about piracy in Nollywood and he has instructed us to work harder to ensure that the producers of Nollywood films get what is due to them and that we reduce piracy to the barest minimum,” she said.
She added that the President frowned at some media houses that are in the habit of owing salaries.
She said Buhari saw the development as not too good for the country.
She said, “I think it was last week that one of the newspapers was shut down because of non-payment of salaries.
“I think that should not be heard of in a country like Nigeria.
“Mr. President frowns on things like that, the welfare of every Nigerian, especially journalists is one of the major concerns that we have.”
The Permanent Secretary said the President wanted the ministry to intensify publicity because of his desire that every Nigerian should know about policies and programmes of his government.
She said they also talked about external publicity and the possibility of re-opening the federal information services abroad.
APPLY: WTO opens entry for 2022 young professionals programme
The World Trade Organisation (WTO) has opened applications for its 2022 Young Professional Programme (YPP).
The programme provides opportunity for young professionals to enhance their knowledge of the organisation and international trade issues.
In 2021, 14 professionals out of 2,400 candidates were selected for the programme from Bangladesh, Belize, Dominican Republic, Eswatini, Guatemala, Georgia, Indonesia, Malawi, Mauritania, Namibia, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Chinese Taipei and Thailand.
WTO said “The YPP is a unique opportunity to gain hands-on experience which can help open the door for future professional opportunities in the field of multilateral diplomacy and global trade.
“The YPP selection gives preference to young professionals from developing and least-developed countries that are members of the WTO and whose nationals are currently under-represented or not represented in the organization’s Secretariat.
“The programme is part of the Secretariat’s overall goal to increase its diversity to better reflect the make-up of its membership.”
To be eligible, applicants must be of age 32 as of January 1, 2022, and selected candidates will work at the WTO secretariat for one year, starting from the beginning of next year.
The areas of work at the programme includes accessions, agriculture, dispute settlement, intellectual property rights, market access, media and external relations, WTO rules, trade and development, trade and environment, trade in services and investment, trade facilitation, trade policy analysis and trade-related technical assistance.
WTO said candidates must have advanced university degree in law, economics, or other international trade-related subjects relevant to WTO work; must possess relevant expertise or continued academic study in a field of interest to the work of the WTO.
Equally, candidates must similarly have a minimum of two years relevant work experience.
The trade organisation further said selected candidates will be paid $3821.66 (N1,454,141.63 million) monthly and applications can be accessed on the WTO e-Recruitment website and should be completed no later than 29 April 2021.
Buhari receives briefing from Osinbajo
Vice President Yemi Osinbajo on Monday briefed President Muhammadu Buhari at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
The President had last Thursday returned to the country after a16-day medical trip to London, United Kingdom.
He left Nigeria on Tuesday, March 30, briefly after a security meeting with defense and intelligence chiefs as well as other security sector managers.
Gunmen attack Imo police station, kidnap officer
A police officer has been abducted in an attack on Mbieri Divisional Police Headquarters in Mbaitoli Local Government Area of Imo state on Thursday morning.
This comes three days after the state Police Command headquarters and Owerri Correctional Center were attacked while 1,884 inmates released.
A resident of Mbieri said the gunmen released the suspects in custody.
However, the policemen on duty were said to have engaged the attackers in a gun duel but they were reportedly overpowered by the gunmen who had sophisticated weapons.
A community leader, Nokey Ebikam, told newsmen that the police divisional headquarters was not burnt but only freed the suspects in detention after vandalizing it.
Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Orlando Ikeokwu, confirmed the attack on the police station but did not go into details.
It was gathered that aside the officer who was abducted, two others sustained injuries in the incident which is the second major attack on a police station since an armed gang invaded the state police headquarters on Monday.
The Police authorities have blamed the attacks on the outlawed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) but the group has distanced itself from the attacks.
- BBNaija: What Groovy said about Beauty’s disqualification
- China announces fresh military drills around Taiwan
- Guardiola reacts as Haaland fumes over not scoring hat-trick against West Ham
- Ten Hag to sign two strikers after 2-1 defeat to Brighton
- European stocks set to climb as traders assess earnings, economic data
NEWS22 hours ago
JUST IN: Police arrest wanted suspected cultist, Rasidi Oko-Ilu in Osun
NEWS1 day ago
Faces at Daisy Danjuma’s 70th birthday in Lagos
POLITICS2 days ago
Adeleke forged certificates, Oyetola tells tribunal
NEWS1 day ago
Fayose feels ‘great’ after back surgery in secret hospital overseas
CELEBRITIES2 days ago
Kim Kardashian and Pete Davidson break up after nine months
NEWS1 day ago
Melaye bombs Keyamo for rating Obi above Atiku, challenges him to a debate
SPORTS2 days ago
Ronaldo finally gets Champions League club as another defender set to leave Old Trafford
SPORTS21 hours ago
Tobi Amusan wins 100m hurdles gold