Mike Tyson comments on Jake Paul fight resurface after agreeing fight | Boxing | Sport

Mike Tyson comments on Jake Paul fight resurface after agreeing fight | Boxing | Sport


Mike Tyson is planning a return to the ring as he gets ready to fight Jake Paul, after having stated just last year that he had no intention of fighting again. The 57-year-old’s most recent bout was back in November 2020 when he was up against Roy Jones Jr. at the Crypto.com Arena in Los Angeles.

Tyson ended his pro career in 2005 when Kevin McBride forced him to retire before the seventh round could start. Now, with retirement behind him, he’s preparing to challenge social media superstar Jake Paul, who has thus far been victorious in nine out of his ten pro fights, on July 20th.

When asked about potentially facing Paul back in 2023, Tyson said there was “No way! I’m not fighting nobody, I’m just chilling,” during his HotBoxin’ podcast, which was aired 11 months ago.

Tyson’s match will be broadcast live and exclusively on Netflix, displaying the streaming giant’s growing interest in sports. It will take place at the ATandT Stadium in Arlington Texas, well known as the home ground for NFL team the Dallas Cowboys.

Speaking of the upcoming match, Tyson shared in a press release: “I’m very much looking forward to stepping into the ring with Jake Paul. He’s grown significantly as a boxer over the years, so it will be a lot of fun to see what the will and ambition of a ‘kid’ can do with the experience and aptitude of a GOAT.”

“It’s a full circle moment that will be beyond thrilling to watch; as I started him off on his boxing journey on the undercard of my fight with Roy Jones and now I plan to finish him.”

Jake Paul added: “He’s the greatest heavyweight of all time, the most vicious KO artist ever. But I’m younger, I’m faster and I’m going to be working my ass off to get stronger.”

“A member of my team sent me this video that Mike’s coach put up two weeks ago and asked me if I’m sure that I want to do this. Yes, yes I do. Heavyweight.”

However, there have been plenty of critics who are concerned about the fight. Many do not believe Tyson should be stepping back into a ring at his age.

“It shouldn’t be happening,” promoter Frank Warren told radio station talkSPORT on Saturday night. “Having said that some of the stuff that comes on in this day and age I can’t believe how it’s coming about. But it does and these guys earn a lot of money from it. If it’s properly medically supervised and they’ve got some decent officials in there and, at times, they can be protected from themselves then who am I to criticize it? But for me, it’s not something I have any interest in whatsoever.”

UFC President Dana White said: “He gets mad when I do this, but Mike’s 60, man. I love Mike Tyson personally as a friend, and he’s one of my favorite athletes of all time. I don’t know. Let’s see what he can go in there and put together a training camp and come in. I don’t like to see guys fighting at (that age). It’d be a 31-year age difference during that fight. You guys know what I think of that stuff.”



Source link

Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here