The National Peace Committee on Tuesday dismissed reports that it was lobbied by former President Goodluck Jonathan to stop President Muhammadu Buhari from probing the ex-President’s administration.
Bishop Mathew Hassan Kukah, a member of the committee chaired by Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar, dismissed the report while answering questions from State House correspondents after the committee’s closed-door meeting with Buhari in Abuja.
According to him, though everybody is free to contact the committee to intervene in promoting peaceful coexistence in the society, the former president never talked to the committee for any form of intervention.
He said, “Anybody is free to come to our committee, but (former) President Jonathan never, by telephone or by any other means, sought to see the committee.
“We went to see him, but that was after we had already seen members of the political parties; we saw a few members of the civil society; we planned to see the Speaker because we couldn’t see him yesterday.
“So, this was a planned series of intervention essentially just to hear out everybody and I think the good news is that Nigerians are committed to a new nation.
“We are committed to ensuring that the gains and the blessings God has given us come to fruition.
“So, it was a very wonderful conversation that we had.”
He said the committee had embarked on routine consultation with relevant stakeholders with a view to ensuring stability in the country.
According to him, the committee will continue to support and cooperate with government in its fight against corruption and injustice.
He said, “Again, our own commitment is not to intimidate or fight anybody.
“The former president’s commitment and what he did still remains spectacular and I think that President Buhari himself appreciates that.
“So, our effort really is to make sure that the right thing is done.
“This is not an intervention; it is not a hearing out process.”
Deborah Samuel: Gov Tambuwal relaxes curfew
Governor Aminu Tambuwal of Sokoto State government has relaxed the 24-hour curfew he imposed on the state capital following violent protest over the arrest of some youths allegedly involved in the killing Deborah Samuel, a 200-level student.
Tambuwal in a statement issued by his Commissioner for Information and Orientation, Isah Bajini, said the revised curfew will now be from dusk to dawn in Sokoto township.
The statement noted that “Sequel to the briefing by the security heads in the State, the State Governor, Rt Hon Aminu Waziri Tambuwal has ordered the relaxation of the 24-hour curfew in force in Sokoto metropolis
“The revised curfew will now be from dusk to dawn in Sokoto township. This is with a view to affording people the window to pursue their legitimate businesses and other means of livelihood.”
Recall that following the lynching of the 200-level student for allegedly insulting Prophet Mohammed, the State’s police command arrested some persons linked to the incident.
However, a large number of Muslim boys who were angered by the arrest, stormed the streets in the State on Saturday, demanding the release of the suspects.
The development, which triggered tension in several parts of the State, made the Governor to impose the curfew.
Arsonists burn down LG secretariat, Magistrate Court in Anambra
Suspected arsonists have burnt down Idemili North Local Government secretariat in Ogidi and a Magistrate Court in the area.
Sources said the arsonists entered the premises on Sunday night to perpetuate the act, burning down all files, properties in the secretariat, including the secretariat building.
Videos and pictures circulating online showed that the entire buildings were reduced to rubbles, while vehicles parked inside the Local Government secretariat were also burnt to ashes.
The State Police Command has also confirmed the development, attributing it to unidentified arsonists.
DSP Toochukwu Ikenga, the spokesperson of the State Police Command said: “Yes, the incident was confirmed, and our men were there to restore normalcy.
“Right now, the fire has been put off, and calm has been restored to the area,” Ikenga said.
National Assembly transmits amended Electoral Act to Buhari
The National Assembly has transmitted the amended Electoral Act 2022 to the Presiden Muhammadu Buhari for assent.
The bill was transmitted to the Presidency on Friday.
Sources in the Presidency and the National Assembly confirmed the transmission.
A source in the Presidency, who spoke on the condition of anonymity as he had not been authorised to announce the development officially, said, “Yes, it has been transmitted. But wait till Monday when it may be announced when the President will sign it.”
Another source in the National Assembly said, “It was transmitted on Friday. I needed to confirm it before saying anything.”
It was further learnt that Buhari would sign the amendment ahead of primaries of political parties beginning next week.
The Senate and the House of Representatives had last week passed an amendment to the Act to recognise statutory delegates at primaries, congresses, and conventions of political parties.
The lawmakers particularly amended Section 84(8) of the Act to provide automatic or statutory delegates, ahead of the forthcoming party primaries, from where candidates would emerge for the 2023 general elections.
In March, the National Assembly had passed the bill for the Act while the President signed it into law.
While political parties are close to conducting primaries to elect candidates for the 2023 general elections, the Act did not allow members elected into public offices and executives of the parties, known as statutory delegates, to participate and vote in the conventions, congresses, or meetings of parties.
The chambers had described the omission as “a fundamental error.”
Without the provision by the law, Buhari; the Vice-President, Prof Yemi Osinbajo (SAN); members of the National Assembly, governors and their deputies, members of the State Houses of Assembly, chairmen of local government areas, councillors, executives of political parties, amongst others, would have been disenfranchised.
POLITICS1 day ago
Women affairs Minister, Pauline Tallen withdraws from senatorial race￼￼
BUSINESS2 days ago
Nigeria issues new guidelines on cryptocurrencies
ENTERTAINMENT2 days ago
AMVCA 2022: Ramsey Noah’s Rattlesnake, Funke Akindele win big [Full list of Winners]
ENTERTAINMENT23 hours ago
Billboard Music Awards 2022: See the full winners list
SPORTS2 days ago
Bundesliga: Lewandowski confirms Bayern Munich exit
NEWS2 days ago
Malami, Ngige deny tendering resignation letters as Ministers
SPORTS22 hours ago
EPL: We’ll give our lives to be champions of England — Guardiola warns Aston Villa
LIFESTYLES23 hours ago
5 things you didn’t know about the 4-5!