Bayelsa State Governor Seriake Dickson on Tuesday formally declared his intention to run for second term in office.
At the Samson Siasia Sports Complex venue of his declaration, political heavyweights in the Peoples Democratic Party in Bayelsa, including former President Goodluck Jonathan, threw their weight behind the incumbent governor.
Also, former Governor Diepreye Alamieyeseigha, leader of the defunct Niger Delta Volunteer Force, Alhaji Mujahid Asari-Dokubo, Chief George Turner, Mrs Remi Kuku, among others, said Dickson deserved a re-election to consolidate on his transformation of the state.
The stadium venue of the declaration was filled beyond capacity. PDP leaders, faithful and wellwishers came in droves to witness the declaration.
Among prominent personalities that came to celebrate with Dickson were Chairman of the PDP Governors Forum and Governor of Ondo State, Mr. Olusegun Mimiko; wife of former President Goodluck Jonathan, Dame Patience Jonathan; Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike; Deputy Governor of Ebony State, Kelechi Igwe and deputy Governor of Delta State, Dennis Otuaro.
Others were deputy governor of Kogi, Prince Awoniyi, former Deputy governor of Bayelsa, Perebemowei Ebebi, Nollywood actors – Kenneth Okonkwo, Zack Orji, Rosemary Imgbi, Ngozi Nwosu and Yemi Black.
Addressing the crowd, Jonathan said contrary to speculations, the PDP, which had been in control of the state since its inception in 1999, still had what it took to win the forthcoming governorship election convincingly.
Jonathan, who decried that Ijaw people were fond of ‘killing’ themselves and spoiling their own, appealed to Bayelsans to allow Dickson to continue as the governor for the second term as he is a truly tested and God-fearing person.
“We are begging everybody to come together to build our state and not to destroy it,”he said.
He also commended Dickson for improving security of lives and property, payment of workers salaries and not being indebted to World bank and other lending agencies in the country.
Jonathan equally lauded Dickson for building the first flyover in the state and embarking on construction of bridges linking riverine communities in the state and developing communities through networks of roads.
PDP Crisis: Dele Momodu warns Wike to apply brakes before it’s too late
Former presidential aspirant of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Dele Momodu has urged Governor Nyesom Wike of River State to thread softly before it becomes too late.
The remark is coming amid internal wrangling between the Rivers governor and the presidential candidate of the People’s Democratic Party, PDP, Abubakar Atiku.
“Many politicians survive only on power. My Brother, I love you. But someone must be able to tell you the truth. No General fights on too many fronts. Please, apply the brakes, before it is too late,” he said.
Momodu made the plea in a statement titled, “My Kobo Advice to Governor Nyesom Wike,” which he issued via his verified Instagram handle on Thursday.
He said, “My dear Brother, good evening. I have watched you in recent months with trepidation. I’m scared about your inability to comprehend the country called Nigeria. You must have underrated how the owners of Nigeria operate.
“I studied the biography of Chief Obafemi Awolowo. I was an insider in the June 12 1993 crisis, and a veritable witness to the tribulations of my great mentor, Chief Moshood Abiola. Closer home, you must have seen how your predecessor, Dr. Peter Odili, was stopped in his tracks in 2007.
“You’re certainly one of Nigeria’s best performing Governors, if not the best. Personally, I’m very proud of your uncommon achievements. I know you are very angry. It is your right to be. But I’m begging you in the name of God not to take decisions based on anger… Nigeria has been very kind to you.
“Rivers State has been extremely generous to you. GOD has blessed you beyond imagination. You have such a beautiful family. Your people love you stupendously for services delivered to them. PDP has been your solid platform.
“You should never destroy a bridge after crossing the river. Even if you no longer need the bridge, what of your friends and family? I pray you kill this excessive and perpetual ANGER. It is getting out of hand. Most people around you will keep quiet for fear of losing patronage,” he said.
Muslim-Muslim Ticket: Catholics want Lalong suspended
Some members of the Roman Catholic Church in Nigeria have called for the suspension of Governor Simon Lalong of Plateau State from the church over his reference to the pope while defending his acceptance to serve as the Director General (DG) of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Presidential Campaign Council.
Lalong, on Wednesday, told correspondents at the presidential villa, Abuja, that as a Catholic and papal knight, the pope had not told him that it was wrong for him to lead the Muslim-Muslim presidential campaign team.
Following the comment, aggrieved Catholic faithful criticised the governor for bringing the church into disrepute and dragging the Holy Father into the murky politics of Nigeria.
But Lalong said his reference to Pope Francis on his appointment was out of reverence and not disregard for the Holy Father, Catholic Church or Christianity.
He said it was unfortunate that part of the interview had been excised and used by politicians for propaganda and misinformation about his personality, faith and political persuasion.
The President of the Concerned Catholics in Nigeria (CCN), Dr Ben Amodu, at a press conference yesterday in Abuja, said Lalong must tender an apology for maligning the name of the pope and the entire church.
He also said the leadership of the Catholic community in Nigeria must ensure that the governor was made to atone for his blasphemous statement about the pope and the Catholic Church in public.
Amodu said, “The fact that Governor Simon Bako Lalong, a practicing Catholic who supposedly knows that the Catholic Church is not involved in partisan politics, but still went ahead to insinuate that the pope is in support of his decision smacks a mockery of the revered Catholic Church in Nigeria and around the world.
“The Concerned Catholics in Nigeria condemn such despicable conduct as it is not reflective of the stance of the pope and the Catholic Church in Nigeria and around the world concerning the political permutations in Nigeria.”
‘My reference to pope mark of reverence’
Governor Lalong, in a statement yesterday by his media aide, said it was unfortunate that part of his remarks had been used by politicians for propaganda and misinformation about his personality, faith and political persuasion.
He said, “My reference to the Holy Father, the Pope, was to emphasise that as a Christian born and raised in the Catholic faith, accepting the assignment given to me by my party, the APC, of which I am a founding member, does not in any way remove my faith in Jesus Christ or my commitment to the church in Nigeria and universally.
“Those who know me can attest to my respect for the church, Christianity and spiritual fathers of all denominations. They know my modest contribution to the growth of the church in Plateau State, Northern Nigeria and Nigeria at large and can testify to it.”
The governor further said he had high regard for Christians and church authority and would continue to work hard in promoting the interests of Christians and adherents of other religions based on love, justice, equity and fairness.w
PDP primary: Gov Wike drags Atiku, Tambuwa to court, demands removal from INEC list
The Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike has sued the PDP presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, the party and the Sokoto State Governor, Aminu Tambuwal over the conduct of party’s primary held May 29, 2022.
During the primary election held in Abuja, the Sokoto Governor, while addressing delegates, asked them to vote for him but later declared that he stepped down for the former Vice President, Atiku.
The election had Atiku poll 371 votes as winner, while Wike and Bukola Saraki garnered 237 and 70 votes, respectively.
Wike and his loyalists have been in a face-off with Atiku’s camp since the conclusion of the PDP’s primary election.
Following the prolonged crisis rocking the party, Wike and a PDP chieftain, Newgent Ekamon have now dragged Atiku, Tambuwal and the PDP to court in a suit marked FHC/ABJ/CS/782/2022.
In the originating summons, the PDP is listed as the first respondent, while the Independent National Electoral Commission is the 2nd respondent. Tambuwal and Atiku are listed as the 3rd and 4th respondents, respectively.
Among other issues listed, Wike and Ekamon asked the court to order the INEC to reject or remove Atiku from “its list of candidates in the 2023 presidential election.”
- Fire guts documents, furniture, others at Nigerian National Assembly
- 2022 World Cup: FIFA announces new date for kick off
- PDP Crisis: Dele Momodu warns Wike to apply brakes before it’s too late
- El-Rufai writes Buhari, says terrorists creating ‘parallel’ govt in Kaduna
- Muslim-Muslim Ticket: Catholics want Lalong suspended