The Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr. Chris Ngige, on Wednesday acknowledged that the Federal Government and the Academic Staff Union of Universities made progress during theirs talks.
He gave the assurance while addressing state house correspondents after the Federal Executive Council meeting presided over by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo at the state House.
Ngige said that ASUU had eight demands of which seven had been trashed out, adding that the government conceded to them the right to exclude endowment funds accruing to universities from the Treasury Single Account.
The minister said the TSA was not for punishment but to enable every government institution to, at a first glance, know its financial disposition and for accountability.
He said, “The government agreed to ASUU demand but limited it to only endowment fund, and that is fund sourced by ASUU.
“But that does not also mean that at the end of the day the university council will not have rights to audit such an account.
“That is really the area that is a little bit contentious.
“The other aspect of it is the earned allowances; the earned allowance is the only one that is not sorted out now because everyone knows and agrees that we are in a recession.
“And if we are in a recession and you are asking us to pay you N284 billion, nobody will pay it because the money is not there.
“So they agreed and National Assembly also agreed and something was worked out.
“And government offered them some amount pending when we finish the auditing of the first tranche of money that has been given to them in the same area of earned allowances.
“That tranche of money they collected is being audited but the auditing process is very slow because some people for strange reasons are not allowing auditing to take place.
“A time frame of six months has been fixed within which the auditing will be done.”
According to Ngige, within the six months government has offered what it will pay monthly while ASUU has made a counter proposal.
He said that both parties had gone back to their principals to look at the proposals and return.
He said the Executive and the National Assembly would look at the finances of government and propose an appropriation for subsequent years.
He said, “For 2016, there is nothing in the budget for it; it will be done and appropriated and paid when due.
“I don’t think the matter is a helpless case, we are moving forward and next week they will come back with their counter proposal.”
According to the minister, his education counterpart gave an update on the ASUU demand to FEC
BREAKING: ASUU meeting with FG end in deadlock, strike to continue
The meeting between the federal government and the leadership of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), on Tuesday ended without an agreement.
As a result of this, the six-month-old strike embarked on by public university lecturers is set to continue.
The lecturers met with the Professor Nimi Briggs Committee at the National University Commission (NUC) in Abuja with high hopes of resolving the impasse.
A senior member of ASUU said that members of the Briggs renegotiation committee didn’t come with any new offer on the table.
According to him, the committee pleaded with the lecturers to suspend the ongoing strike, with promises that their concerns will be included in the 2023 budget.
The meeting started at about 12pm and lasted for about three hours.
ASUU has been on strike since February 14.
Suspected thugs destroy Tinubu’s Emilokan billboard in Lagos (PHOTO)
Some persons suspected to be political thugs have vandalized a billboard of the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential candidate, Bola Tinubu, in Lagos.
The billboard located on the close to the third mainland bridge was destroyed on Tuesday morning.
The action sparked tension online as some APC members have accused the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the state.
EFCC recovers another 1.4bn naira for NHIS
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has recovered an additional sum of one billion, four hundred million naira (N1.4 Billion) for the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS).
In a statement via its official Twitter handle, the money, according to the commission, was part of the funds which some commercial banks ‘fraudulently’ refused to transmit to the Treasury Single Account, TSA, since 2015.
The statement further said the money had been released to the NHIS since August 5, 2022.
It also revealed that the Commission had in similar fashion on February 10, 2022, released a sum of N1.5bn to the scheme.
- Darwin Nunez issues apology to Liverpool fans after showing "ugly attitude" in sending off
- 2023: INEC redeploys RECs, others
- Cristiano Ronaldo says truth will come out in tell-all interview amid Man Utd U-turn
- BREAKING: ASUU meeting with FG end in deadlock, strike to continue
- JANDOR meets PDP state, senatorial, and LGA women leaders, unites state woman leader and Lagos4Lagos state woman leader
NEWS2 days ago
140 Days after, Nigeria loses N3bn on suspended Kaduna-Abuja train service
NEWS1 day ago
Kenya election: ‘It’s good news for the church’ – Apostle Suleman congratulates Ruto
NEWS1 day ago
Kenya election: Buhari reacts to William Ruto’s emergence as president
POLITICS2 days ago
PDP crisis: Party govs move to reconcile Atiku, Wike
NEWS20 hours ago
ASUU: Issue of IPPIS, UTAS has been resolved – Lecturers give hope of ending strike
CELEBRITIES2 days ago
Kim Kardashian seen for the first time since Pete Davidson split
POLITICS1 day ago
INEC displays voters’ register in Lagos
BUSINESS2 days ago
External reserves sustains downward trend, sheds $337m in 2wks