Connect with us

SPORTS

Fernandinho signs one-year extension deal at Manchester City

Published

on

Manchester City captain Fernandinho insists he has unfinished business at the club after signing a one-year contract extension.

The 36-year-old will stay on at the Etihad Stadium until 2022 and is targeting another shot at the UEFA Champions League.

His team lost to Chelsea in their first final last month.

“In my head and my mind, the job is not done yet and so that’s why I decided to stay here another year and try to help the team and the club to achieve the goals they’re looking for,” said the Brazilian.

“In my point of view, we can do that. There’s still places to improve and to get those targets.

“Obviously, for me and for my family it’s a pleasure to stay in Manchester for one more year.

“If I can keep doing the same way, leading them inside the pitch, off the pitch, to help them to improve and get better and to perform better during the games, I will be the happiest person there.”

Fernandinho joined from Shakhtar Donetsk in 2013 and has made 350 appearances and won 12 domestic trophies during that time.

He became the joint-most decorated player in League Cup history last season when he won a sixth Carabao Cup.

“Fernandinho’s contribution to Manchester City cannot be overstated,” said director of football Txiki Begiristain.

“He is an outstanding footballer —— one of the best in the world in his position —- and an exemplary professional.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

SPORTS

John Terry leaves Aston Villa, reveals next plan

Published

on

Aston Villa assistant coach, John Terry, has announced his departure from the club.

Terry, in a statement via Aston Villa’s official website on Monday, also revealed his next plan.

The Chelsea legend had since been linked with vacancies at Bristol City and West Brom United.

Terry’s statement read in part, “It has been a tremendous honour and privilege to have spent these last three years at Aston Villa, but I feel now is the right time to make the extremely difficult decision to move on.

“My immediate plan is to spend some quality time with my family and, thereafter, hopefully, take up some invitations to visit clubs and managers around Europe to develop my aim and objective of becoming a manager.

“I’ll forever be indebted to the gaffer for giving me the opportunity to start my coaching career at such a wonderful club.

“Finally, I would also like to thank all the players and staff and wish them all the very best for the season ahead and say a huge thank you to the wonderful Aston Villa fans for their support.”

Continue Reading

SPORTS

Solskjaer opens up on Pogba rejecting new Man United contract to join PSG

Published

on

Manchester United boss, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has opened up on midfielder, Paul Pogba rejecting a new contract at the club in a bid to join Paris Saint-Germain.

Solskjaer also expressed confidence that Pogba will be part of his Man United squad next season.

He said this while reacting to reports that the France international has rejected a new deal at the club because he wants to join PSG.

Pogba, whose current deal with Man United will expire next summer, has been linked with a move away from Old Trafford to join PSG.

But Solskjaer has now described the report as ‘speculations’.

Asked if Pogba has rejected a contract and whether Man United will need to sell him, Solskjaer told reporters following the Red Devils’ pre-season 4-2 defeat against QPR on Saturday: “There are always speculations about Paul.

“The talks between the club and Paul’s representatives, I am not in the detail of every single one of them, so I have got nothing to say really about that.

Asked further on PSG’s interest in Pogba, Solskjaer continued: “There’s always speculation about Paul and there’s always clubs being interested.

“Of course, we have seen Paul at his best and Paul knows what we feel about it. And of course, I have enjoyed my time working with him and hopefully, we can work together. Let’s see what happens.”

Continue Reading

SPORTS

Barcelona to swap Griezmann for four Man City players

Published

on

BARCELONA are said to be eyeing up a swap deal with Manchester City involving Antoine Griezmann, with reports suggesting they have named four players they would be interested in taking from the Etihad

The Catalans desperately need to reduce their wage bill this summer and have identified Griezmann, who rakes in a staggering £300,000 per week, as one player they could cash in on.

He has only spent two years at the Nou Camp after completing a £100million switch from La Liga rivals Atletico Madrid, racking up 99 appearances and scoring 35 goals in that time.

And according to Radio Catalunya, Barca are now trying to use the Frenchman as bait in a potential swap deal with City.

Continue Reading

Trending