Connect with us

NEWS

EFCC invites 32 former Oyo lawmakers over N1.5billion stolen money

Published

on

Saturday Mirror learnt that the anti-graft agency visited governor’s office last week Thursday to verify some documents which indicted the administration of former Governor Rasheed Ladoja, in three ministries of Finance, Land and Justice.

It will be recalled that the state governor Senator Abiola Ajimobi had in the last few months pressured the former governor to confess to the alleged refund of the sum of N500million through the EFCC.

Both Senator Ladoja and governor Ajimobi had engaged in heated argument over the refund of N500million and a Jeep said to be part of the stolen N1.5billion proceed from the sale of shares belonging to the state government by the former governor who denied the refund.

While Ajimobi insisted that Ladoja made the refund through the anti-graft commission and tendered bank cheques in newspaper advertisement, but the former governor insisted that Ajimobi’s claims were absolute false .

One of the lawmakers involved while speaking on the condition of anonymity, said the invitation by EFCC was true and that the former Speaker has sent lawyers to plead on behalf of the House for two weeks before the honourable members could appear before EFCC.

Saturday Mirror gathered that the EFCC delegation was led by the Head of Economic Governance who refused to disclose his name. Ladoja was alleged to have used his company, BRISTRUM Investment Limited to buy the shares of the state government and allegedly used the Guarantee Trust Bank draft to raise the sum of N78million from the share proceed to acquire property located at 361 Agodi GRA Ibadan, the Oyo State capital.

He was also accused of doling out the sum of N20million each to 14 lawmakers who were loyal to him for constituency projects while in government without executing any project.

It was gathered that apart from the N20m received by the 14 loyal members of the house, Ladoja also allegedly purchased a Nissan Sunny car for each of the lawmakers.

The money was allegedly taken from the proceed of the state shares sold during his tenure as governor in the state while the antigraft commission was said to have left the state with some vital documents that contained facts about the former governor’s administration.

It was also gathered that the chairman of the state Housing Corporation during Ladoja’s tenure, Mr. Wale Atanda, confessed to have collected the money and was in charge of disbursement of the cash as directed by the former governor.

The source said “Wale Atanda in his effort to clear himself was exposing all these informations to EFCC. He is the only key witness at the moment because he cooperated with the EFCC to carry out their investigations.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

NEWS

Court soft-pedals on Nnamdi Kanu’s trial

Published

on

The authorities of the Federal High Court in Abuja have soft-pedaled on the stringent conditions imposed on the trial of the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, Nnamdi Kanu.

Against their last month decision, the court authorities have stopped the movement of the trial to the Code of Conduct Tribunal, CCT, at Jabi District of Abuja.

Also, the authorities of the Court have permitted the media to witness the treasonable felony charges brought against the Biafra nation agitator by the Federal Government.

At the time of this report, fully armed operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS), have taken perfect control of the security situations within and outside the court premises.

Journalists, lawyers, litigants, as well as workers are being allowed into the court premises unhindered after formal introduction and presentation of identity cards.

The court had last month issued a Practice Direction which moved the trial to CCT believed to be large and spacious enough to accommodate the crowd that usually surged to witness the trial.

The Practice Direction endorsed by the Chief Judge of the Court, Justice John Tsoho had also prohibited media coverage except where expressly permitted.

However, it was observed that the stringent conditions have been jettisoned.

Although, reasons for deviating from the Practice Direction have not been made known, it was gathered that Jabi Code of Conduct Tribunal was considered too porous for such a sensitive trial, especially from the security points.

Apart from unhindered access being granted to lawyers and media practitioners, roads leading to the court are not blocked, while food vendors are also having their businesses done without molestation.

However, adequate security measures are being observed to prevent security breaches.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Finland and Sweden submit applications to join NATO

Published

on

NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg says that Finland and Sweden have officially applied to join the world’s biggest military alliance, a move driven by security concerns over Russia’s war in Ukraine.

“I warmly welcome the requests by Finland and Sweden to join NATO. You are our closest partners,” Stoltenberg told reporters on Wednesday after receiving their application letters from the two Nordic countries’ ambassadors.

“This is a historic moment, which we must seize,” Stoltenberg said at NATO headquarters in Brussels.

Neutral throughout the Cold War, the two countries’ decision to join the alliance is one of the most significant changes in Europe’s security architecture in decades.

The applications must now be weighed by the 30 member countries. That process is expected to take about two weeks, although Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has expressed reservations about Finland and Sweden joining.

If his objections are overcome, and accession talks go as well as expected, the two could become members within a few months. The process usually takes eight to 12 months, but NATO wants to move quickly given the threat from Russia hanging over the Nordic countries’ heads.

Canada, for example, says that it expects to ratify their accession protocol in just a few days.

Several NATO allies, most notably the United Kingdom, have offered security assurances to Finland and Sweden during the application period before they are covered by the alliance’s mutual defence pact.

Finland and Sweden submit applications to join NATO

“Over the past few days, we have seen numerous statements by allies committing to Finland and Sweden’s security. NATO is already vigilant in the Baltic Sea region and NATO and allies’ forces will continue to adapt as necessary,” Stoltenberg said.

Continue Reading

NEWS

 Nigerian government puts Facebook under watch over IPOB

Published

on

Facebook and other social media platforms have been cautioned against yielding their platforms to the members of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) to incite violence and instigate ethnic hatred in Nigeria.

The Federal Government gave the instruction through Information, Culture & Tourism Minister Lai Mohammed at a meeting with a team from Facebook.

In a statement signed by his media aide, Mr. Segun Adeyemi, the minister said since IPOB had been proscribed and classified as a terrorist organisation, Facebook has no justification to continue allowing its platform to be used by the organisation to further its campaign of hate and destabilisation of the country.

Mohammed was quoted as saying: “I have called this meeting to enable us to discuss the increasing use of Facebook by separatists and anarchists, especially those of them based outside the country, to instigate violence and ethnic hatred in Nigeria.

“For whatever reason, they seem to have now chosen Facebook as their platform of choice. And their tools include disinformation, incendiary statements and hate speech.

“They use Facebook broadcasts to reach their followers, who are in thousands. They tag those opposed to their violent ways as ‘saboteurs’ who must be attacked, maimed and killed. They use both English and their local language as it suits them.”

He said the actions of the outlawed group have real-life implications, adding: “By purveying hate and inciting violence, people are getting killed while private and public property are being attacked and destroyed. Security agencies and other symbols of government are their choice targets.”

The minister said that despite the numerous complaints to Facebook on the activities of IPOB, nothing has been done by the company to curtail the group’s excesses on the social media platform.

He said: “Our social media people have been monitoring these separatists, anarchists and purveyors of hate, and have been reporting their atrocious actions to Facebook, but all they get are default responses that their complaints have been received and are being looked into.

“Most often than not, nothing has been done about such complaints… The truth is that whatever Facebook is doing to check these people is mere tokenism and is totally ineffective.”

Mohammed said the government would be monitoring Facebook and other platforms closely in the days ahead to ensure compliance with the demand, as it steps up the campaign for the responsible use of social media.

He said: “We have always advocated a responsible use of social media, and consistently called on all stakeholders to join us in achieving this. Some have tagged our efforts as an attempt to stifle social media.

“They are wrong, because we have no intention of preventing Nigerians from using social media responsibly. All we have been advocating is a responsible use of social media,” the minister said.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Latest News

Advertisement

Trending