Connect with us

NEWS

DSS denies manhandling, harassing Kanu’s lawyers

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) has denied allegations that its operatives harassed and manhandled lawyers of the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Mr Nnamdi Kanu, during a visit to their client.

Kanu’s Lead Counsel, Ifeanyi Ejiofor, on Tuesday for the second time, alleged the harassment of their lawyers during a visit to their client in the custody of the DSS.

Ejiofor, who made the allegation in a statement posted on his Facebook page, said the lawyers were “practically stripped naked” during the visit which was on Monday.

He had earlier alleged they were subjected to the same treatment during another visit last Thursday.

Responding to the allegation, the Public Relations Officer of the Service, Dr Peter Afunanya, said in a message, “Not true, please.”

However, Ejiofor said they were apprehensive that no trial will commence in the circumstance until their client is transferred to the Correctional centre from DSS custody.

Ejiofor’s post on Tuesday reads: “Our Client – Onyendu Mazi Nnamdi Kanu was visited yesterday and in his usual practice, he extended his compliments to his millions of supporters. He is indeed eternally grateful for the overwhelming support and show of solidarity.

“It is pertinent to note that the harassment, intimidation, and manhandling of our lawyers by the DSS officials during the visit still continued despite our protest last week.

“Lawyers were ‘practically stripped naked’ while searching for incriminating materials during a court-ordered visit.

“We therefore, do not mince words in stating that it is no longer safe as it stands today for us who are visiting our Client.

“This hostile treatment is becoming exceedingly intolerable and unacceptable in the prevailing circumstance.

“We are now more apprehensive of the fact that no trial will commence in the circumstance we presently find ourselves until our Client – Mazi Nnamdi Kanu is transferred to the Correctional center.

“He cannot be tried for a one-way stereotyped conviction in the manner the Federal Government is presently pursuing this. To deny us, his lawyers writing materials and for the visits to be conducted under the atmosphere of fear and intimidation is highly unacceptable and condemnable.

“The script currently being played is a clear demonstration of the Federal Government strategy to deny him fair trial, and we cannot accept it, under no circumstance. We understand the game and the dancing pattern.

“I want you all to be reminded that the present development is a direct consequence of your prayers well answered.

“We crave for more prayers, and urge you all to continue to remain law abiding and peaceful in the conduct of your affairs. Be assured that with truth and God on our side, we will win the battle in court overwhelmingly.

“We shall continue to keep you posted as the event unfolds, but be assured that we will have reasons to rejoice in no distance time, Umuchineke. Thank you all and remain blessed.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

NEWS

PHOTOS: Fani-Kayode dines at residence of another Buhari’s Minister

Published

on

Since Thursday when his defection to the All Progressives Congress (APC) was made public, Femi Fan-Kayode, former Minister of Aviation, has been under fire.

From Social media to traditional media, the former critic of President Muhammadu Buhari and the ruling party, has been lampooned.

But FFK has waved critics aside, sharing pictures of his visit to the residences of key APC figures.

On Saturday, he released pictures of his visit to Ali Isa Pantami, Minister of Communication and Digital Economy, whom he had labelled a terrorist and asked Buhari to sack a few months ago.

While the dust raised by the post is yet to settle, Fani-Kayode released fresh pictures of his visit to the residence of George Akume, Minister of Special Duties.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Armed gang invade Lagos streets, injure many, loot shops

Published

on

Mushin area of Lagos State was yesterday, thrown into commotion as some armed gang invaded some streets, inflicting injuries on residents and destroying property worth millions of naira.

It was gathered one person died in the mayhem that forced churches within the affected communities to close for fear of being attacked.

Information had it that a notorious armed robber was arrested sometime by the police and was transferred to Abuja. But his release was allegedly facilitated by some big shots he worked for.

After his release, his loyalists from the Idi-Araba area of the state reportedly invaded some areas of Mushin to attack some persons whom they accused of being the cause of his arrest. The areas affected were Alafia, Daniel and Morgan.

A resident, who simply gave his name as Mitchy, explained that “the fight has been going on since midnight (Saturday)and the perpetrators came from Idi-Araba. This has been happening for almost six months. But last night and today’s(Sunday) were the most violent.

“Surprisingly, the armed thugs were teenagers between 16 and 19 years. They looted people’s shops and carted away goods. They were armed with machetes, guns and bottles.

“Holy Trinity Anglican Church at Alafia junction and Christ Gospel Apostolic Church on Da-Silva street could not conduct Sunday service.”

It was gathered teams of policemen from the Tactical Unit of the Lagos State Police Command were ordered by the Commissioner of Police, CP Odumosu to contain the situation.

When contacted, the command spokesman, CSP Ade Ajisebutu, said 15 suspects had been arrested in connection with the clash. He said axes, cutlasses and expended cartridges were recovered in the process.

According to Ajisebutu, “Normalcy has returned to the area. CP Odumosu has assured residents to go about their lawful businesses. At the end of an investigation, the suspects will be charged to court.”

Continue Reading

NEWS

Ondo Govt seals off Shoprite, popular market

Published

on

The Ondo State Government has sealed off Shoprite and the neighborhood market in Akure, the Ondo State capital.

The popular facilities were sealed on Monday by the Ondo State Waste Management Authority, ODSWMA, over what was described as unsanitary and unhygienic practices.

A few days ago, the agency had taken similar action against five notable buildings in the state for flouting the environmental laws of the state.

Shoprite, which is located on Igbatoro road in Akure and the Neighborhood market at NEPA axis of the State capital, were accused of ignoring a series of warnings from the agency.

The General Manager of the Authority Mrs Ayo Adeyemo, who disclosed this, said the owners of the affected facilities violated environmental laws and failed to comply with the laid down hygienic practices.

Adeyemo, who maintained that further sanctions would be taken, warned that anyone found culpable will not be spared

Continue Reading

Trending