Darren Till to make boxing debut on Mike Tyson vs Jake Paul undercard | Boxing | Sport

Darren Till to make boxing debut on Mike Tyson vs Jake Paul undercard | Boxing | Sport


Darren Till will make his professional boxing debut against Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. on the Jake Paul vs Mike Tyson and Katie Taylor vs Amanda Serrano undercard. The MMA star requested release from the UFC last year and will return in a ring rather than the Octagon when fighting for the first time in 18 months on July 20 in Texas.

Till, 31, will debut in a six-round cruiserweight bout at 190lbs compared to fighting in the middleweight and welterweight divisions during a decade with the UFC. Chavez, 38, has a considerable edge in experience after amassing 61 professional fights during a two-decade-long career.

However, the Mexican fighter is the more inactive of the two, having not been back in the ring since scoring a unanimous decision victory over David Zegarra in December 2021. That bout was his first at cruiserweight, the ninth division Chavez has fought in.

The son of former three-division world champion Julio Cesar Chavez, he held the WBC middleweight title from 2011 to 2012 and made a defence against Andy Lee. Chavez also shared a ring five years later with Canelo Alvarez, losing by unanimous decision.

His last loss came in June 2021 against another former MMA star, Anderson Silva. Chavez lost a split decision to the long-time UFC middleweight champion, who went on to fight Paul the following year and lost by unanimous decision.

Till seeks the same result as Silva but plans to do so with an early knockout. “I’m very happy to be a part of this event,” he has said. “Paul vs. Tyson is going to be one of the biggest events of our generation, and to make my professional boxing debut on it is brilliant. 

“I’m very happy with my opponent. I’ve been a fan of his father for many years, and I’ve been a fan of Chavez Jr. too – he is a great fighter who I respect, but make no mistake about it, I am coming to knock him out in the first round. I am happy with where I am in life, and I am coming to make a statement on Saturday, 20th July in Texas.”

Chavez Jr. is also anticipating a quick night’s work. “I’m excited to return to the ring after some time off, and I’m motivated and eager to reestablish myself as one of the greats,” he has said. 

“I was the first Mexican middleweight champion in the history of Mexico and want to prove that I can again become a champion. My return to the ring at this historic event is an honour. On Saturday, 20 July, I’m going to win by KO and continue my journey.”

Paul and his business partner Nakisa Bidarian also shared their excitement for the fight. “Chavez Jr. will be looking to silence the critics following his loss to Anderson Silva, while Till, training with UK boxing great Liam Smith, intends to show the world he’s a real threat inside the ring,” they said.



Source link

Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here