Connect with us

NEWS

COVID-19: British Prime Minister, Johnson fails to say whether he’ll resign if found guilty of breaking lockdown laws

Published

on

Boris Johnson has refused to say whether he will resign if police found he has broken COVID-19 lockdown laws.
The prime minister has returned his questionnaire to the Metropolitan Police who are investigating Downing Street parties, BBC News reports.
Asked in a BBC interview whether he would resign if police decide to take action, the PM said: “I can’t comment about a process that is underway.”
More than 50 people have been sent the document by the force.

Downing Street has not revealed what Mr Johnson said in his written response to the police, only that it was sent to them within the seven-day deadline before he travelled to Munich this weekend.
But Mr Johnson was pressed on the subject by Sophie Raworth in an interview for BBC One’s Sunday Morning Programme. She asked whether he understood why so many people found his on-the-record explanations – including that he believed he was only attending work events – “implausible”.

Mr Johnson said: “There is literally not a bean I can tell you about that.”
He was asked if he was “burying” his “head in the sand” as he was being investigated by the police, had MPs calling on him to resign and might face a no-confidence vote.
Mr Johnson replied: “I am fortunate to live in a democracy. I am fortunate to be the PM of a free independent democratic country where people can take that sort of decision, and where I do face that sort of pressure, that’s a wonderful thing.”
The police investigation was launched in late January after an internal inquiry led by civil servant Sue Gray passed information to the force.
The initial findings of Ms Gray’s inquiry criticised “failures of leadership and judgement” over the gatherings in Downing Street and Whitehall.
The police investigation, Operation Hillman, is examining 12 gatherings on eight dates – some of which the PM has already said he attended – to see if Covid regulations were broken.
The Met has said a fine would be issued to anyone found to have breached Covid regulations. A decision is not expected for weeks.
The questionnaire that was sent to Mr Johnson and scores of others requires an “account and explanation of the recipient’s participation in an event”, the Met has previously said.
The survey, sent by email, has the same status as information given in an interview under caution.
The Met said previously that it “must be answered truthfully”.
Foreign Office minister James Cleverly told Sky News: “I don’t think what the country needs now is a vacuum at the centre of government.”
He added Mr Johnson was focusing on the situation in Ukraine and dealing with the NHS operations backlog created by the Covid crisis.
Asked if that meant he thought the prime minister should not resign if fined over Downing Street parties, Mr Cleverly replied: “That’s exactly how you should take it.”
Separately, Mr Johnson refused to say in the BBC interview whether any public money will be used to fund the Prince Andrew financial settlement with Virginia Giuffre.
Mr Johnson said: “No prime minister ever answers questions about the Royal Family and quite right too.”

NEWS

2023: Buhari may meet Osinbajo, Tinubu, Amaechi, others

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari would this week meet with all the preidential aspirants of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).

The meeting was called with a view to reducing the number of presidential hopefuls and also ensuring that all of them pledge to accept the outcome of the primary as was done during the APC presidential primary in 2014.

“The President will meet with the aspirants a few days to the primary with a view to ensuring that there is unity and harmony. He will also meet with the governors separately. The date is not fixed yet, but it should be this week if INEC doesn’t extend the deadline for the primary as we are all hoping,” said an APC chieftain who wished to remain anonymous.

“The President has a candidate. How to present the idea to the likes of Tinubu will be the challenge,” he added.

Buhari’s most senior spokesman, Mr Femi Adesina, had said last week that the President indeed had a preferred candidate.

He stated, “In a previous interview when the President was asked whether he had a favourite candidate, he answered yes; but he will not mention him because mischief may happen to that person.

“That shows you that the President himself is interested in the process and he has a preferred candidate; but whether he will impose his candidate is what you cannot determine at the moment.”

When contacted on the telephone, the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, said he was not aware of any meeting the President would be having with the aspirants.

“I am not aware of any meeting as of now,” he said.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Gunmen behead abducted Anambra lawmaker from Governor Soludo’s constituency, hang head in motor park

Published

on

Gunmen who abducted a member of the Anambra State House of Assembly, Okey Okoye, have beheaded him.

After beheading him, his head was reportedly displayed at a motor park in Nnobi, Idemili South Local Government Area of the state.

The incident, which happened on Saturday, created panic in the community, which had been witnessing a series of violent killings since last year.

Sources added that his body was not there and indications were that the killers removed the body.

“The Anambra lawmaker representing Soludo’s constituency, Okechukwu Okoye who was earlier kidnapped, has been beheaded by gunmen; the late lawmaker’s head was mounted at Chisco Park in Amichi community,” a military source said on Saturday.

Gunmen had last Sunday abducted the lawmaker who was representing Aguata II state constituency in Aguata alongside Cyril Chiegboka, his campaign director.

Governor Charles Soludo had said during the week that efforts were ongoing to rescue the Anambra lawmaker from his abductors.

Continue Reading

NEWS

MC Oluomo allegedly demands N100million to support re-election of Oshodi Rep member

Published

on

Chairman of the Lagos State Parks Management Committee, Musiliu Akinsanya, popularly called MC Oluomo, is allegedly demanding N100 million to support the re-election of the member representing Oshodi Federal Constituency 1 in the House of Representatives, Hon. Bashiru Dawodu.

Dawodu, a medical doctor, rode on the back of MC Oluomo to win the election in 2019 after series of attempts in the past.

Dawodu presenting his Certificate of Return to MC Oluomo

Both, however, fell apart few months after Dawodu was elected due to irreconcilable differences .

MC Oluomo is said to be angry with Dawodu for not honouring agreements he (Dawodu) had with him prior to his victory in 2019.

MC Oluomo, who is seen as de-facto leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Oshodi was said to have vowed to work against Dawodu’s re-election in 2023.

He is believed to be working for the emergence of a former Chairman of Oshodi/Isolo Local Government, Afeez Ipesa Balogun to emerge as the APC’s candidate for the House of Representatives election in the constituency.

However, party leaders in the local government including the Chairman of the council, Kehinde Oloyede Almoof had appealed to MC Oluomo to tone down his opposition to Dawodu and support his re-election.

It was gathered that MC Oluomo did not turn down the fence-mending approach because he said he did the same with Oloyede who was his former arch-enemy.

It was further gathered that MC Oluomo demanded N100 million from Dawodu before he gets his support.

The money according to MC Oluomo is to settle his aides and loyalists, who supported Dawodu in 2019 but were abandoned by the Rep member.

According to sources at the various fence-mending meeting, appeals to MC Oluomo to reduce the amount were rebuffed.

Another dimension has, however, been added to the involvement of Oloyede in the matter.

The sources revealed that the council chairman, Oloyede is supporting Dawood because of his own interest.

Oloyede has been eyeing the Rep seat before his election as the council chairman.

Oloyede’s calculation according to the sources is that should Dawood gets the second term, it would be easy for him (Oloyede) to contest for the seat in 2027.

One of the sources who does not want his name in print because of backlash said : “Oloyede is supporting Dawood because of his own personal interest. He believes supporting Dawood may work for him in 2027.

Continuing, the source noted that Oloyede would rather support Dawodu over any other candidates because others eyeing the seat are first timers, who may want to seek for re-election in 2027.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Latest News

Advertisement

Trending