A Lagos State High Court in Ikeja on Friday halted the ongoing coronation ceremony to fill the vacant stool of Ayangburen, the traditional ruler of Ikorodu Kingdom, in Lagos State.
The Ayangburen stool became vacant on August 1, 2014, after the passage of Oba S.A.A. Oyefusi.
The ceremony to crown the new Ayangburen, which had been scheduled for Saturday, August 15, 2015, was halted on Friday by Justice O.O. Ogungbesan “in the interest of justice.”
Ogungbesan said she was satisfied from the evidence placed before the court that unquantifiable damages would be done if the coronation ceremony was allowed to go on as scheduled.
She therefore restrained the Lagos State Governor, Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode, or anyone acting under his authority, from going ahead on Saturday to crown the current Odofin of Ikorodu, Chief Kabiru Shotebi, as the new Ayangburen of Ikorodu Kingdom.
The judge also stopped Shotebi from either “presenting himself for coronation” or “parading himself as the Ayangburen of Ikorodu, or actualising any recognition thereon as such, or exercising any of the Ayangburen royal functions,” pending the determination of a suit filed by one Odupitan Eniola, from the Lambo branch of the Lasunwon chieftaincy family of Ikorodu Kingdom.
Eniola, through his lawyer, Mr. Joseph Okobiemen, had approached the court with an ex parte application praying the court to halt the scheduled coronation of Shotebi, who hailed from the Adegorushe branch of the Lasunwon chieftaincy family, as the new Ayangburen of Ikorodu Kingdom.
The applicant claimed that it was the turn of the Lambo branch of the Lasunwon chieftaincy family, from which he came, to present the next Ayangburen, adding that he had been nominated by the family to be crowned as the new Ayangburen at meetings held on September 7 and 21, 2014.
Eniola claimed that the Adegorushe family had already benefitted after Shotebi became the Odofin of Ikorodu kindgom, following a court judgment on April 1, 2009 in a suit marked IKD/57/2007.
Besides, Eniola claimed that there was a case pending in court bordering on a dispute over the vacant stool, saying that if the coronation ceremony was allowed to go on, “a fait accompli will be foisted on the honourable court.”
“The 1st respondent is making plans, during the pendency of this suit and in concert with other respondents, to organise a coronation ceremony, which is now in the advanced stage, to crown the first respondent as the Ayangburen of Ikorodu Kingdom, in a ceremony which has been scheduled to hold between 2nd and 15th August, 2015.
“This is in spite of this suit pending before this honourable court.
“The claimant wants the honourable court to exercise its discretion in favour of the claimant by granting this application, so as to preserve the order and judgment of this honourable court made in suit number IKD/57/2007.
“The balance of convenience is on the claimant’s side and the claimant will suffer more if the respondents are allowed to continue their acts of flagrant disregard for the orders, judgment and suits pending before the honourable court.
“I undertake to pay damages to the respondents if this application is wrongly granted,” one Prince Shakiru Shodipo, a principal member of the Lambo branch, averred in an affidavit of urgency.
Justice Ogungbesan, in her ruling on Friday, said she found merit in Eniola’s application and therefore stopped Shotebi’s coronation as prayed.
The judge directed that the order should be served on the respondents within five days.
She adjourned the motion on notice till August 26, 2014 for mention.
Joined as respondents in the suit are Shotebi; the Olisa/Regent of Ikorodu, Chief Zacheus Odusoga; and other kingnakers of Ikorodu Kingdom – Chief Afolabi Adekanyaoja, Chief Karimu Ore and Chief Jacob Adaraloye.
Others sued were the Ikorodu Local Government, the Ikorodu Division of Council of Obas/Chiefs, the Secretary, Ikorodu Chieftaincy Committee, the Lagos State Ministry of Chieftaincy Affairs, the Attorney General of Lagos and Lagos State Governor.
Finland and Sweden submit applications to join NATO
NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg says that Finland and Sweden have officially applied to join the world’s biggest military alliance, a move driven by security concerns over Russia’s war in Ukraine.
“I warmly welcome the requests by Finland and Sweden to join NATO. You are our closest partners,” Stoltenberg told reporters on Wednesday after receiving their application letters from the two Nordic countries’ ambassadors.
“This is a historic moment, which we must seize,” Stoltenberg said at NATO headquarters in Brussels.
Neutral throughout the Cold War, the two countries’ decision to join the alliance is one of the most significant changes in Europe’s security architecture in decades.
The applications must now be weighed by the 30 member countries. That process is expected to take about two weeks, although Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has expressed reservations about Finland and Sweden joining.
If his objections are overcome, and accession talks go as well as expected, the two could become members within a few months. The process usually takes eight to 12 months, but NATO wants to move quickly given the threat from Russia hanging over the Nordic countries’ heads.
Canada, for example, says that it expects to ratify their accession protocol in just a few days.
Several NATO allies, most notably the United Kingdom, have offered security assurances to Finland and Sweden during the application period before they are covered by the alliance’s mutual defence pact.
“Over the past few days, we have seen numerous statements by allies committing to Finland and Sweden’s security. NATO is already vigilant in the Baltic Sea region and NATO and allies’ forces will continue to adapt as necessary,” Stoltenberg said.
Nigerian government puts Facebook under watch over IPOB
Facebook and other social media platforms have been cautioned against yielding their platforms to the members of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) to incite violence and instigate ethnic hatred in Nigeria.
The Federal Government gave the instruction through Information, Culture & Tourism Minister Lai Mohammed at a meeting with a team from Facebook.
In a statement signed by his media aide, Mr. Segun Adeyemi, the minister said since IPOB had been proscribed and classified as a terrorist organisation, Facebook has no justification to continue allowing its platform to be used by the organisation to further its campaign of hate and destabilisation of the country.
Mohammed was quoted as saying: “I have called this meeting to enable us to discuss the increasing use of Facebook by separatists and anarchists, especially those of them based outside the country, to instigate violence and ethnic hatred in Nigeria.
“For whatever reason, they seem to have now chosen Facebook as their platform of choice. And their tools include disinformation, incendiary statements and hate speech.
“They use Facebook broadcasts to reach their followers, who are in thousands. They tag those opposed to their violent ways as ‘saboteurs’ who must be attacked, maimed and killed. They use both English and their local language as it suits them.”
He said the actions of the outlawed group have real-life implications, adding: “By purveying hate and inciting violence, people are getting killed while private and public property are being attacked and destroyed. Security agencies and other symbols of government are their choice targets.”
The minister said that despite the numerous complaints to Facebook on the activities of IPOB, nothing has been done by the company to curtail the group’s excesses on the social media platform.
He said: “Our social media people have been monitoring these separatists, anarchists and purveyors of hate, and have been reporting their atrocious actions to Facebook, but all they get are default responses that their complaints have been received and are being looked into.
“Most often than not, nothing has been done about such complaints… The truth is that whatever Facebook is doing to check these people is mere tokenism and is totally ineffective.”
Mohammed said the government would be monitoring Facebook and other platforms closely in the days ahead to ensure compliance with the demand, as it steps up the campaign for the responsible use of social media.
He said: “We have always advocated a responsible use of social media, and consistently called on all stakeholders to join us in achieving this. Some have tagged our efforts as an attempt to stifle social media.
“They are wrong, because we have no intention of preventing Nigerians from using social media responsibly. All we have been advocating is a responsible use of social media,” the minister said.
Kano Explosion: Death toll rises to nine
The death toll in the gas explosion which occurred at Aba by Court road in Sabon Gari, Fagge Local Government Area of Kano State on Tuesday morning, has increased to nine.
The Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs announced this in a tweet.
Nine dead bodies have been recovered so far from the rubble of a collapsed building beside a primary school following an explosion from a gas cylinder at Aba Road in Sabon Gari area of Kano State,” the Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs said in the tweet.
“Persons injured by the explosion were taken for treatment at Airforce Hospital, Kano,” it added.
Kano Commissioner of Police, Sama’ila Shu’aibu Dikko, had earlier confirmed the death of four persons.
“As of now, one female and three males have been killed. All the security agencies are here. The Civil Defence, Brigade commander, Air force, myself and the director, DSS, are all on ground.”
“We will extend our investigation and at the end of the day we will come out with exactly what happened,” he had said.
The incident sparked tension in the community as parents rushed to schools to withdraw their children.
- Netflix lays off 150 employees due to slow revenue growth and business needs
- Why keeping your socks on during sex is the BEST!
- Presidential Primaries: Disquiet as PDP loses Eagle Square to APC
- Dollar breaks N600/$ ceiling ahead of party’s presidential primaries
- Stock market sets new milestone as investors gain over N5tr in four months
NEWS24 hours ago
Bomb blast rocks Kano
SPORTS2 days ago
EPL: We’ll give our lives to be champions of England — Guardiola warns Aston Villa
NEWS23 hours ago
Oyo Polytechnic student dies, female partner rushed to hospital after sex romp
SPORTS2 days ago
Details of Jose Peseiro’s contract as new Super Eagles head coach revealed
NEWS1 day ago
Unions reject Aero’s plans to reduce workforce by 40%
POLITICS1 day ago
INEC gives APC, PDP, others deadlines
NEWS1 day ago
NAHCON screens 7 airlines for 2022 hajj
NEWS1 day ago
Deborah Samuel: Adeboye postpones RCCG crusade in Sokoto