Connect with us

NEWS

Court refuses to stop Saraki as Senate President

Published

on

A Federal High Court in Abuja, on Tuesday, refused an application seeking to stop Senate President, Bukola Saraki, from performing his duties on account of use of the allegedly forged Senate Standing Rule for his June 9election in the Senate.

The plaintiffs, Senators Abu Ibrahi, Kabiru Garba Marafa, Robert Ajayi Boroffice, Bareehu Olugbenga Ashafa and Suleiman Othman Hunkuyi stormed the court with an ex-parte motion seeking to stop Saraki from constituting the Senate Standing Committees.

Ruling in the ex-parte motion filed and argued by Chief Mamman Mike Osuman (SAN) on behalf of the five senators, Justice Gabriel Kolawole held that there was nothing urgent in what the plaintiffs were asking for.

The judge said that the Senate Standing Order 2015 as amended upon which the plaintiffs predicated their ex-parte motion had been in existence since June 9 when the Senate President and his deputy were elected and as such, the issue of urgency raised by the five senators was self inflicted.

Justice Kolawole also said that by rushing to the court 24 hours to the resumption of the Senate plenary, the court will not indulge in granting a belated request because the issue of urgency in the case instituted against Saraki and five others had become belated.

He wondered why only five out of 109 senators would come to court to challenge the internal affairs of the Senate carried out on June 9 by the majority of the senators.

He added that the court was not created to supervise the internal affairs of the National Assembly but can only intervene if there is an infraction of the constitution in the conduct of its internal affairs.

He warned that even when the National Assembly has misapplied its own rules, the courts must be wary in intervening, it should even be more wary when the intervention is sought as an ex-parte.

According to the judge, the dispute that arouse on the outcome of the election that produced the Senate President and his deputy was an internal affairs of the Senate and that the court will hardly intervene in such internal affairs.

Justice Kolawole further said that the Senate Standing Order 2015 as amended being considered forged by the five plaintiffs had no substantial infraction on the 1999 Constitution to warrant court’s intervention.

“I find myself unable to exercise my discretion to grant the injunction being sought by the plaintiffs to stop the defendants from carrying out their constitutional legislative duties”, he said and refused the application.

He also ordered the plaintiffs to put the defendants, which include the Senate President, the Deputy Senate president, the Clerk of the National Assembly, the Clerk of the Senate and the Senate on notice.

He then adjourned hearing of the motion on notice till August 5, while the originating summons will be returned to the Chief Judge of the Federal High Court for re-assignment.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

NEWS

Candlelight vigil held at Nigeria House, London to mark 1-year anniversary of July 1 attack on Sunday Igboho’s house

Published

on

Scores of Yoruba Nation agitators on Friday held a vigil in London to mark the one-year anniversary of the July 1, 2021 attack on the Ibadan residence of the embattled Yoruba activist, Sunday Adeyemo, aka Sunday Igboho. 

Dozens of candles shined on the Nigeria House, London on Friday evening as the agitators, gathered for a candlelight vigil to reflect on the attack of July 1, 2021 and demanded self determination for the Yorubas.

Recall that the Department of State Services (DSS) had on July 1, 2021 raided the residence of the activist in Ibadan, Oyo state.

The DSS raided the residence, killing two people and arresting 12 aides but Igboho escaped.

The agency alleged that Igboho was stockpiling weapons, and subsequently declared him wanted.

Igboho was, however, arrested by the Benin Republic police on July 19 at Cardinal Bernardin International Airport in Cotonou while trying to fly from the country to Germany.

See photos from the vigil

Candlelight & Memorial Service to mark 1-year anniversary of July 1 attack on Sunday Igboho’s house
Candlelight & Memorial Service to mark 1-year anniversary of July 1 attack on Sunday Igboho’s house
Candlelight & Memorial Service to mark 1-year anniversary of July 1 attack on Sunday Igboho’s house

Continue Reading

NEWS

‘Be ready to face God’s wrath if you blaspheme against Jesus’- Adeboye 

Published

on

The General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Pastor E.A. Adeboye, has warned that any individual that blasphemes Jesus will taste the wrath of God.

Adeboye, who spoke to his congregation at the RCCG monthly Holy Ghost Service for the month of July, which was held late Friday/early Saturday, made the comment as he reacted to the recent attacks and killings targeting churches and worshippers in some parts of the country.

Religion Nigeria reported that no fewer than 40 Catholics were killed by unknown gunmen in June at the St. Francis Catholic Church in Owo, Ondo State.

Two weeks after the Owo attack. bandits killed three persons during separate attacks on the Baptist Church and the St. Moses Catholic Church, all in the Kajuru Local Government Area of Kaduna State.

He also took time to respond to a comment allegedly made by controversial On-Air Personality, Daddy Freeze, who alleged that some women turned to Ogun (god of thunder) to rain curses on the terrorists who massacred worshippers in Owo because “Bros J” (a nickname for Jesus which is common amongst Nigerians) did not answer them.

Freeze had written last month, “When dem call bros J and he nor answer dem nko? We abandoned African paganism to adopt European pagan ideologies. Until we start telling ourselves the truth and take our security issues more seriously this won’t end. Christ’s message is love and that’s the first thing so glaringly missing in Nigeria.”

Reacting, Adeboye said, “I understand that one funny fellow said that some people were calling on Ogun because Jesus didn’t answer them.

“Well, the one who said that there’s a Yoruba proverb, it said, the mouth that the snail uses to blasphemy God, that mouth would kiss the ground. From now on, anybody who dares blaspheme Jesus Christ, they will taste the fire of the Almighty God.”

Speaking further, the revered clergyman stated that, “Safety is of the Lord and nobody dies until their time comes.

“I don’t want to say much, because I know whatever I say, some people may want to twist it. But I’ve searched the Bible from cover to cover and there is nowhere in the Bible where God said a child of God cannot defend himself.

“If you find the place, let me know. He said, if they slap you on the right cheek, turn the left. If they now slap the left, what did he say? When God is silent, do you know the meaning of that, it simply means, over to you.

“Every enemy of the church, as long as my Father is still on the throne, as long as Jesus lives, as long as His name is the consuming fire, if they don’t repent, the fire of God will consume them. I’m not talking to everybody o, I’m only talking to my children.”

Continue Reading

NEWS

Alaafin’s wife dies weeks after monarch’s death

Published

on

Weeks after the death of the Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi, one of his wives, Olori Kafayat, has also died.

Olori Kafayat, who was the mother of Prince Adebayo Adeyemi, popularly known as D’Guv, died on Friday night.

Details of her death were still sketchy as of the time of filing this report, but the Director of Media and Publicity at the Alaafin Palace, Mr Bode Durojaye, confirmed it to our correspondent on Saturday morning.

He said, “She died in the United States of America. I will give details later.”

Oba Adeyemi had died on Friday April 22 at the Afe Babalola University Teaching Hospital, Ado Ekiti, after a brief illness at the age of 83.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Latest News

Advertisement

Trending