Corp members are avoiding to participate in the legislative rerun election scheduled for Saturday in Rivers State.
Investigation revealed that corps members who are being contacted to serve as ad hoc staff of the Independent National Electoral Commission are refusing to participate in the election because of fear of possible violence during the election.
A source who confided in our correspondent said that the corps members were not showing the usual enthusiasm to participate in the election because of the accusations and counter-accusation between the Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike , and INEC.
The source said, “Corps members being contacted by INEC to participate in the Rivers rerun election are showing reluctance to serve in the election.
“A good number of them are afraid that there could be violence during the election, and these are young men and women who don’t want to get killed because of some election.”
When our correspondent contacted the Chief Press Secretary to the Chairman of INEC, Mr. Rotimi Oyekanmi, he said that it was only the Resident Electoral Commissioner in Rivers that could comment on that.
Reacting, the state REC, Mr. Aniedi Ikoiwak, said the job of corps members was voluntary, adding that those who did not want to work with INEC on election day were free to opt out.
Ikoiwak argued that some of the corps members’ parents might have told them not to take part in the rerun election, adding that such a situation would not affect the exercise on Saturday.
The state REC, however, pointed out that INEC would get more ad hoc workers from other government’s agencies if there was shortage in the number of corps members needed for the job on Saturday.
“From the beginning, the NYSC work is on a voluntary basis. We know that some of them might have been told by their parents not to be part of it (election).
“But if we have problem of shortage of manpower, we will complete them with workers from other government’s agencies and institutions,” he stressed.
Oyekanmi also agreed that most parents would be inclined to discourage their children from participating in the election because of what he described as the inflammatory comments by the Rivers State Government that plans had been perfected to rig the election.
BREAKING: ASUU meeting with FG end in deadlock, strike to continue
The meeting between the federal government and the leadership of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), on Tuesday ended without an agreement.
As a result of this, the six-month-old strike embarked on by public university lecturers is set to continue.
The lecturers met with the Professor Nimi Briggs Committee at the National University Commission (NUC) in Abuja with high hopes of resolving the impasse.
A senior member of ASUU said that members of the Briggs renegotiation committee didn’t come with any new offer on the table.
According to him, the committee pleaded with the lecturers to suspend the ongoing strike, with promises that their concerns will be included in the 2023 budget.
The meeting started at about 12pm and lasted for about three hours.
ASUU has been on strike since February 14.
Suspected thugs destroy Tinubu’s Emilokan billboard in Lagos (PHOTO)
Some persons suspected to be political thugs have vandalized a billboard of the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential candidate, Bola Tinubu, in Lagos.
The billboard located on the close to the third mainland bridge was destroyed on Tuesday morning.
The action sparked tension online as some APC members have accused the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the state.
EFCC recovers another 1.4bn naira for NHIS
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has recovered an additional sum of one billion, four hundred million naira (N1.4 Billion) for the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS).
In a statement via its official Twitter handle, the money, according to the commission, was part of the funds which some commercial banks ‘fraudulently’ refused to transmit to the Treasury Single Account, TSA, since 2015.
The statement further said the money had been released to the NHIS since August 5, 2022.
It also revealed that the Commission had in similar fashion on February 10, 2022, released a sum of N1.5bn to the scheme.
- Darwin Nunez issues apology to Liverpool fans after showing "ugly attitude" in sending off
- 2023: INEC redeploys RECs, others
- Cristiano Ronaldo says truth will come out in tell-all interview amid Man Utd U-turn
- BREAKING: ASUU meeting with FG end in deadlock, strike to continue
- JANDOR meets PDP state, senatorial, and LGA women leaders, unites state woman leader and Lagos4Lagos state woman leader
NEWS2 days ago
140 Days after, Nigeria loses N3bn on suspended Kaduna-Abuja train service
NEWS1 day ago
Kenya election: ‘It’s good news for the church’ – Apostle Suleman congratulates Ruto
NEWS1 day ago
Kenya election: Buhari reacts to William Ruto’s emergence as president
POLITICS2 days ago
PDP crisis: Party govs move to reconcile Atiku, Wike
NEWS20 hours ago
ASUU: Issue of IPPIS, UTAS has been resolved – Lecturers give hope of ending strike
CELEBRITIES2 days ago
Kim Kardashian seen for the first time since Pete Davidson split
POLITICS1 day ago
INEC displays voters’ register in Lagos
BUSINESS2 days ago
External reserves sustains downward trend, sheds $337m in 2wks