Connect with us

NEWS

Buhari promises to balance his appointments

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari has promised to balance his political appointments to reflect the national character.

Buhari has come under heavy criticism over his recent appointments, which favoured the north.

Buhari, who spoke through his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, on Friday assured Nigerians that his political appointments will balance out very soon.

Adesina spoke while featuring on a radio programme, Political Platform, on RayPower 100.5FM, monitored by our correspondent.

He was reacting to criticisms that have trailed the President’s appointments, which are believed to favour the Northern part of the country.

Adesina said the President was aware of federal character and expressed the believe that there would be balance by the time he made more appointments in September.

While saying appointments were Buhari’s prerogative, the presidential spokesman also said nobody can fault the fact that those named  so far ‎were appointed on merits.

He also said it would not be fair for the President to be blamed for positions that were filled as a result of elections, like those of the National Assembly and appointments made as a result of next in command, like those of the acting Chairman of the Independent Electoral Commission  and that of the Chief Justice of Nigeria.

He assured all stakeholders that the President would keep to his promise of appointing the remaining aides and ministers ‎in September.

Adesina said, “Nobody can fault the fact that the persons appointed were appointed on merits.

“In terms of the spread, the President has prerogative to appoint  and he knows there is federal character. I am sure that there will be balance in the future. These are still early days. At the end of the day, we will have a balance.

“By the time more appointments are made, it will balance out. The President is trying to get the very best of Nigerians. The issue of key positions and no key positions should not be the issue.

“He gave a deadline of September for the appointment of ministers ‎and he will keep to it.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

NEWS

BREAKING: ASUU meeting with FG end in deadlock, strike to continue

Published

on

ASUU

The meeting between the federal government and the leadership of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), on Tuesday ended without an agreement.

As a result of this, the six-month-old strike embarked on by public university lecturers is set to continue.

The lecturers met with the Professor Nimi Briggs Committee at the National University Commission (NUC) in Abuja with high hopes of resolving the impasse.

A senior member of ASUU said that members of the Briggs renegotiation committee didn’t come with any new offer on the table.

According to him, the committee pleaded with the lecturers to suspend the ongoing strike, with promises that their concerns will be included in the 2023 budget.

The meeting started at about 12pm and lasted for about three hours.

ASUU has been on strike since February 14.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Suspected thugs destroy Tinubu’s Emilokan billboard in Lagos (PHOTO)

Published

on

Some persons suspected to be political thugs have vandalized a billboard of the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential candidate, Bola Tinubu, in Lagos.

The billboard located on the close to the third mainland bridge was destroyed on Tuesday morning.

The action sparked tension online as some APC members have accused the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the state.

Continue Reading

NEWS

EFCC recovers another 1.4bn naira for NHIS

Published

on

EFCC writes INEC, demands APC, PDP, other aspirants’ bank details

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has recovered an additional sum of one billion, four hundred million naira (N1.4 Billion) for the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS).

In a statement via its official Twitter handle, the money, according to the commission, was part of the funds which some commercial banks ‘fraudulently’ refused to transmit to the Treasury Single Account, TSA, since 2015.

The statement further said the money had been released to the NHIS since August 5, 2022.

It also revealed that the Commission had in similar fashion on February 10, 2022, released a sum of N1.5bn to the scheme.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Latest News

Advertisement

Trending