BREAKING: Nigeria Labour Congress Declares Nationwide Mass Protest Over Hardship Under Tinubu


Joe Ajaero stated this at Labour House, Abuja, during an ongoing press conference.

The leadership of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has declared a two-day nationwide mass protest slated for February 27 and 28 over the biting hardship in the country.

 

Joe Ajaero stated this at Labour House, Abuja, during an ongoing press conference.

 

SaharaReporters had reported on Monday that the leaders of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) insisted that they would embark on strike even as they warned the President Bola Tinubu-led Nigerian government.

 

At a meeting between the labour leaders and officials of the Federal Ministry of Labour and Employment, headed by the Minister of State for Labour, Nkeiruka Onyejeocha, on Monday, the labour leaders had said only the government could stop the planned strike by addressing the 15-point agreement reached on October 2, 2023.

 

One of the labour leaders at the meeting had said that though the minister pleaded with the labour leaders to shelve the planned strike, stressing that the federal government was already addressing labour demands, the labour leaders were adamant.

 

“We categorically told the minister and her team that our ultimatum stands. We were emphatic that only the government can stop the strike by honouring the agreement we reached on October 2, 2023.

 

“We cannot say the meeting was a deadlock because it has opened avenue for discussion. If the government had been opened to discussions, probably, we would not have issued the strike notice. As it is, we are not going back on the ultimatum, not with the mass suffering and poverty across the country. Well, the responsibility lies with government,” he had said.

 



Source link

Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here