Connect with us

NEWS

Bandits invade Zaria, abduct residents

Published

on

Bandits on Friday morning stormed the Zango community in Samaru, Zaria town, Kaduna State and kidnapped an unspecified number of persons.

There are now fears that the bandits might be heading for the Ahmadu Bello University main campus, the College of Aviation and the Nigerian Institute of Transport Technology located in the same area.

These were made known in a tweet by a former Senator representing Kaduna Central Zone, Shehu Sani.

Sani further urged the security agencies to guard the institutions of learning situated in the same area.

He wrote: “Early this morning, bandits stormed Zango area Samaru, Zaria and kidnapped scores of people. Ahmadu Bello University main campus, College of Aviation and Nigerian Institute of Transport Technology located in the same area must take immediate preventive security steps to secure lives.”

Early this morning,Bandits stormed Zango area Samaru,Zaria & kidnapped scores of people.Ahmadu Bello University main campus,College of Aviation and Nigerian Institute of Transport Technology located in the same area must take immediate preventive security steps to secure lives.— Senator Shehu Sani (@ShehuSani) August 27, 2021

According to reports, the bandits were said to have invaded the community from different entry points around 1am on Friday, when the residents were sleeping.

“The bandits also attacked other houses within the area as they fired several shots which lasted for about 30 minutes,” a witness said.

“I first received a call from my brother, saying kidnappers have invaded Zango, then I started hearing sounds of heavy gunshots in front of our house. I quickly went to check the kids. I saw that they are still sleeping.

“I peeped through the window; because I was thinking they were already inside the compound. They hit our gate three times and drank water from the tap outside.

“I was inside the house, my whole body was shaking. I was told they came through different entry points.

“Anyone you called will tell you that they just passed in front of his house. So far, we were told seven persons were already abducted. Those are the numbers for now. But they invaded several houses, I am sure they have taken more people.”

Kaduna has witnessed a surge in bandit activities in recent times.

On July 5, bandits stormed Bethel Baptist College near Kaduna city, about 80km (50 miles) southwest of Zaria and kidnapped at least 140 schoolchildren.

At least eight people were also abducted from the National Tuberculosis and Leprosy Centre in Zaria the previous day.

Two nurses and a 12-month-old child were among those seized.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

breaking

Man puts self up for sale in Kano

Published

on

Aliyu Na Idris, a 26-year-old man from Kaduna State, has become a social media sensation for putting himself up for sale in Kano.

Idris, who claimed to be a tailor, has been roaming the streets of Kano State carrying a placard that reads “This man is for sale for N20 million.”

It was gathered that the young man has been on the streets for five days looking for who will buy him.

He said he had decided to sell himself due to hardship.

He said his family was aware that he had offered himself for sale, adding that he had initially presented himself for sale in Kaduna but when he could not get a serious buyer, he decided to try Kano State with the hope that someone will pay the required price.

“Even though many people have offered me various prices of N10m, N5m and N300,000 in Kano, I refused because the amount is less than what I expected,” he said.

The young man said he was operating a tailoring business which failed due to the financial crisis and as such, he lost his customers and became financially handicapped.

He explained that he had no money to survive, not to talk of investing in another business, hence, he decided to present himself for sale at N20m only.

When asked what he intends to do with the money, he said, “I will give my parents N10m; I will give N5m as tax to the state where I was bought, the person who helped in advertising me will be rewarded with N2m while the remaining N3m will be kept for me under the care of the person who buys me for my daily upkeep.”

He further stated that he knows that he would lose his freedom after being purchased but he’s not worried as he has made up his mind to do the bidding of his master.

He said if nobody buys him in Kano, he would move to another state to sell himself.

Continue Reading

breaking

NCC alerts Nigerians to deadly FluBot malware targeting bank accounts

Published

on

The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday raised the alarm about what it described as an extremely damaging malware called “FluBot” which attacks Android mobile banking applications.

According to the NCC, Flubot “impersonates Android mobile banking applications to draw fake web view on targeted applications and its goal transcends stealing personal data and essentially targets stealing of credit card details or online banking credentials.”

Malware is a generic word used to describe a virus or software designed specifically to disrupt, damage, or gain unauthorised access to a computer system.

“According to the information received today (Thursday), October 21, 2021, from the Nigeria Computer Emergency Response Team (ngCERT), Flubot targets Androids with fake security updates and App installations,” NCC’s Director of Public Affairs, Ikechukwu Adinde, said in a statement issued yesterday.

NCC explained that FluBot “is circulated through SMS and can snoop on incoming notifications, initiate calls, read or write SMSes, and transmit the victim’s contact list to its control centre.”
NCC said the malware “attacks Android devices by pretending to be FedEx, DHL, Correos, and Chrome applications,” and compels unsuspecting users to alter the accessibility configurations on their devices to maintain continuous presence on devices.

The statement adds: “The new malware undermines the security of devices by copying fake login screens of prominent banks, and the moment the users enter their login details on the fake pages, their data is harvested and transmitted to the malware operators’ control point from where the data is exploited by intercepting banking-related One Time Passwords (OTPs) and replacing the default SMS app on the targeted Android device.

“Consequently, it secures admittance into the device through SMS and proceeds to transmit similar messages to other contacts that may be on the device it has attacked enticing them into downloading the fake app.
“It suffices to say that, when Flubot infects a device, it can result in incalculable financial losses.
“Additionally, the malware creates a backdoor which grants access to the user’s device, thus enabling the invader or attacker to perform other criminal actions, including launching other variants of malware.”
The NCC subsequently issued an advisory to protect telecoms consumers from falling victim.

The guidelines listed by the commission are: “Do not click on the link if you receive a suspicious text message, and do not install any app or security update the page asks you to install; use updated antivirus software that detects and prevents malware infections; apply critical patches to the system and application; use strong passwords and enable Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) over logins and back up your data regularly.”
Others are: “If you have been affected by this campaign, you should reset your device to factory mode as soon as possible. This will delete any data on your phone, including personal data; do not restore from backups created after installing the app; you will also need to change the passwords to all of your online accounts, with urgency, around your online bank accounts; If you have concerns that your accounts may have been accessed by unauthorised people, contact your bank immediately.”

Continue Reading

NEWS

Gunmen attack Abolongo correctional facility in Oyo, set prisoners free

Published

on

Suspected gunmen have attacked one of the facilities of the Nigeria Correctional Service (NCS), in Oyo State.

It was gathered that the facility, christened Abolongo correctional facility was attacked by the gunmen Friday evening.

It was further gathered that the gunmen set all the prisoners at the facility free during the attack.

The attackers were said to have stormed the facility at about 10pm on Friday.

The attackers used grenades to gain access and set prisoners free.

Spokesman for the Nigerian Correctional Service (NCS) in the state, Olanrewaju Anjorin confirmed the attack on Saturday.

Anjorin said that the senior officers of the agency were on their way to assess the level of damage.

He said, “Yes. It has been confirmed that the attack actually happened.

“And right now, the comptroller of Nigerian Correctional Service (NCS) and other top officers are assessing the situation.

“But, I can confirm to you that the incident actually happened”.

Continue Reading

Trending