Connect with us

NEWS

Army uncovers plot to undermine counter-insurgency operation

Published

on

 

The Nigerian Army says it has uncovered a plan by some foreign media in partnership with collaborators in Nigeria to undermine ongoing operations to end insurgency in the country.

This is contained in a statement issued on Tuesday by the acting Director of Army Public Relations, Col. Sani Usman.

Usman said the plot was to be executed via another false claim of human rights violation by troops in operation.

He said the development was unfortunate and capable of frustrating the efforts of the military, while reiterating that troops and their commanders in the frontline would remain focused.

According to Usman, the Nigerian Army would like to reiterate and renew its commitment to upholding human rights principles and practice.

“It has come to our knowledge that some foreign media, Non-governmental Organisations (NGOs) and some of their Nigerian affiliates are about to start making false claims of human rights violations by the Nigerian Army.

“It is clear that these groups and their collaborators are not happy with the progress made in the efforts to solve the security problems bedeviling our nation as manifested in the terrorists’ activities.

“The implication of such act is not lost on us as it is capable of thwarting the gains in the fight against terrorism and insurgency, ‘’ he said.

The acting Army spokesman described the sponsors of the new plot to discredit the army as “unscrupulous, unpatriotic and driven by material and pecuniary gains rather than the wellbeing of Nigerians’’.

He said the Nigerian Army had been protecting human rights and would not be party to any breach in Nigeria or during any of the military’s operations.

He, however, stressed that the army would not give in to antics that were calculated at frustrating ongoing efforts to liberate parts of the North-East plagued by the Boko Haram insurgency.

“We would not condone any human rights abuses.

“Where there are allegations of human rights violation by any individual or group, this would be thoroughly investigated and those found guilty would be brought to book in accordance with extant laws.

“Therefore, the Nigerian Army would not succumb to blackmail and neither would it be distracted from its determined effort of defending the territorial integrity of our great nation and safeguarding the security of its citizens,’’ Usman said.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) recalls that the Nigerian Army under Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai had recently received commendations from notable figures and organisations around the world for the level of professionalism exhibited by troops in the frontline

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

NEWS

BREAKING: ASUU meeting with FG end in deadlock, strike to continue

Published

on

ASUU

The meeting between the federal government and the leadership of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), on Tuesday ended without an agreement.

As a result of this, the six-month-old strike embarked on by public university lecturers is set to continue.

The lecturers met with the Professor Nimi Briggs Committee at the National University Commission (NUC) in Abuja with high hopes of resolving the impasse.

A senior member of ASUU said that members of the Briggs renegotiation committee didn’t come with any new offer on the table.

According to him, the committee pleaded with the lecturers to suspend the ongoing strike, with promises that their concerns will be included in the 2023 budget.

The meeting started at about 12pm and lasted for about three hours.

ASUU has been on strike since February 14.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Suspected thugs destroy Tinubu’s Emilokan billboard in Lagos (PHOTO)

Published

on

Some persons suspected to be political thugs have vandalized a billboard of the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential candidate, Bola Tinubu, in Lagos.

The billboard located on the close to the third mainland bridge was destroyed on Tuesday morning.

The action sparked tension online as some APC members have accused the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the state.

Continue Reading

NEWS

EFCC recovers another 1.4bn naira for NHIS

Published

on

EFCC writes INEC, demands APC, PDP, other aspirants’ bank details

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has recovered an additional sum of one billion, four hundred million naira (N1.4 Billion) for the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS).

In a statement via its official Twitter handle, the money, according to the commission, was part of the funds which some commercial banks ‘fraudulently’ refused to transmit to the Treasury Single Account, TSA, since 2015.

The statement further said the money had been released to the NHIS since August 5, 2022.

It also revealed that the Commission had in similar fashion on February 10, 2022, released a sum of N1.5bn to the scheme.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Latest News

Advertisement

Trending