In a renewed drive to rout terrorists from the North-east and bring the insurgency war to an end, the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Maj. Gen. Farouk Yahaya, at the weekend, charged troops in the Theatre of Operation Hadin Kai (OPHK) to intensified efforts at dislodging ISWAP and Boko Haram terrorists from the region.
The army chief, who is on his maiden operational tour of the North-east, had in an earlier tour of Yobe State on Friday ordered troops of Sector 2 Joint Task Force North-east Operation Hadin Kai to destroy all Boko Haram and Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) enclaves in their various locations.
He directed them to use their wealth of experience and lessons learnt from the series of operations conducted to “destroy the remnants of marauding terrorists within their various locations.”
He assured them of improved welfare and a new reward system for troops who perform gallantly in any operation.
A statement yesterday by the Director, Army Public Relations, Brig. Gen. Onyema Nwachukwu, said the army chief gave the charge while addressing troops of Sector 3 Operation Hadin Kai/Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF), Monguno, Borno State.
Yahaya, who lauded the level of discipline and commitment to duty exhibited by troops of the sector, however, admonished them to be apolitical, decisive and circumspect in all their operational engagements.
He “tasked both officers and soldiers of the sector to conduct decisive offensive operations against the terrorist groups marauding in the theatre of operation”.
He charged them to “sustain the aggressive tempo of the operations and keep the flag flying, in order to bring the insurgency to an end in the north-east”.
The COAS was accompanied during the tour by the Chief of Operations (Army) Major General Ibrahim Yusuf, Theatre Commander Operation Hadin Kai, Major General Christopher Musa, the Provost Marshal (Army) Major General Robert Aiyenigba, Chief of Military Intelligence (Army) Brigadier General Danladi Salihu, Maritime Component Commander OPHK, Commodore Richard Shammah, among other principal staff officers.
The army chief, had, during his recent visit to the Shehu of Borno, His Royal Highness, Alhaji Abubakar Ibn Umar Garbai El-kanemi, and members of Borno Emirate in his palace in Maiduguri, said traditional institutions were critical to the success of the ongoing operation to end Boko Haram insurgency and terrorism in the North-east.
Yahaya had said he was pleased to be at the Shehu’s palace with principal staff officers from the army headquarters to pay respects and homage to the revered traditional ruler.
He said he arrived at the state earlier in the day on an operational visit to the theatre and felt it was an honour to visit the Shehu as a father, leader not only in Borno but also in the country, to receive a royal blessing for the task ahead of him.
He appreciated the support of the royal father and the entire Emirate even while he was in the state as the Theatre Commander, Operation Hadin Kai before his appointment as the 22nd Chief of the Army Staff.
He noted the support of the royal father and the emirate had led to some of the successes recorded in the operations against the terrorists.
He solicited more support.
The Shehu of Borno, Alhaji Abubakar Ibn Umar Garbai El-kanemi, had, in his remarks, commended the military for the gradual return of peace to the state and North-east.
He said 17 of the 27 local government areas previously occupied by Boko Haram terrorists some years ago were recaptured and civil authority restored.
He urged the COAS not to be deterred and pledged the support of the emirate to the army leadership and military generally.
#EndSARS Memorial: Nigerian youths plan to shutdown Lekki Toll Gate tomorrow
The Nigerian youths have confirmed that the Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos will be shut down tomorrow, Wednesday 20.
According to the youths, the #Endsars Memorial Car Procession will be held at the toll gate from 8 am.
The notifier, shared by Nigerian singer Falz, said the procession is “in memory of the lives lost on the 20-10-20.
“We should all endeavour to stay in our vehicles all throughout the procession and also in groups for safety reasons.
“Please be sure to arrive on time so we can proceed in unity together,” the notifier stated.
This plan was also confirmed by Comedian Mr Macaromi, who shared e-fliers of the car procession and the order of programme on his Instagram page.
Meanwhile Falz, on his part, noted that nothing will stop the procession.
“It is impossible for us not to memorialize our fallen heroes,” Falz stated on Instagram.
However, some youths are also planning a counter-protest titled “Defend Lagos.”
The Defend Lagos group in a trending message said:
“About a year ago, this carnage fell on Lagos State while Lagosians thought it was just going to be a protest. Lagos State was destroyed by End SARS protesters.
“Lagosians are ready to defend Lagos NOW. Never again will Lagos be destroyed.”
Tags: #Endsars Memorial
University of Ibadan loses two students in 24 hours
A 200 level student of the University of Ibadan (UI), Oluwaseun Ayomide Adeyemo, yesterday died in a car accident.
The student of the department of Microbiology was involved in a car accident around Mobil filling station, UI Ojoo axis.
She was rushed to the University Health Clinic popularly known as Jaja but efforts to save her life proved abortive as she passed on due to excessive loss of blood.
Her death came barely 24 hours as the university community was mourning the loss of a 400 level student of the department of History, Adebayo Adegoke.
Adegoke was allegedly shot by robbers around Pre-Boye World Shopping Complex in the late hours of 10:00 p.m. on Saturday.
A source, who preferred anonymity said, the deceased, who lived in Independence hall was shot and efforts to save his life proved abortive as he was unable to make it to the hospital.
The students’ union officials were joined by the Dean Students Affairs, Professor A. Abiona, Head of Department of History and some other students’ leaders to visit the Bodija police station in order to ensure proper investigation is carried out on the deaths.
Another building collapses in Lagos
A building collapsed Monday night at No. 97, Lagos Road in the Haruna area of Ikorodu.
The incident occurred around 10pm. Two persons, a male and a female, were confirmed injured.
The victims are currently at the Ikorodu General Hospital receiving treatment.
At least three persons are trapped but no casualty yet, the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) said.
It was gathered that after the structure disintegrated, residents within the area mobilised to carry out initial rescue.
The Fire Service and Police responded on time but could not do much due to unavailability of equipment to lift rubbles.
A rescue operation was ongoing as at press time.
breaking1 day ago
Former US Secretary of State Colin Powell dies from COVID-19 complications
breaking1 day ago
Court orders immediate release of ex-Gov Odili’s seized passport
NEWS2 days ago
Oshodi LG Chairman threatens two APC leaders with N100million defamation suit
breaking1 day ago
Islamic group warns Turkey President, Erdogan as he arrives Nigeria on Monday
NEWS1 day ago
US confirms Boko Haram, bandits working together to blackmail Buhari regime
POLITICS1 day ago
List of Nigeria’s First Lady, Aisha Buhari’s loyalists declared winners of APC party congress in Adamawa
NEWS1 day ago
Unknown gunmen attack police station in Ebonyi, free inmates, burn operational vehicles
NEWS1 day ago
PDP women demand Deputy Chairmanship position