Connect with us

NEWS

APC turns down Banire’s offer to resign as national legal adviser

Published

on

The All Progressives Congress (APC) has rejected the offer by its National Legal Adviser, Muiz Banire (SAN) to step aside pending the outcome of the investigation into allegation of alleged corruption by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

The party said the offer by Banire to step aside and submit himself to investigation by the anti-graft agency was an exemplary representation of the party.

In a letter to Banire, signed by the National Chairman, Chief John Odigie-Oyegun, the party said that at the National Working Committee of the party resolved to unanimously reject the offer to step aside.

Banire had about three weeks ago written to step down as the party’s National Legal Adviser following an investigation launched by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), into a gift of N500,000 given to an old friend, who sought his financial assistance to defray part of the burial expenses of his late mother about three years ago.

The letter obtained last night by The Nation said “after intense discussion, the NWC unanimously decided not to accept your offer to step aside as the National Legal Adviser.”

According to the party, the decision to reject the offer to step aside is hinged on the fact that Banire’s offer is “inappropriate since your responsibility as the National Legal Adviser of our party will not, in any way, impede any ongoing investigation by the EFCC, more so, as the allegation has no nexus with the party.

“The party is currently saddled with a number of sensitive litigations and your role in professionally handling the ongoing cases is critical. The NWC is of the view that we keep to the credo of our jurisprudence where an accused is considered innocent until otherwise proven guilty by a competent jurisdiction. In this case you have not even been accused”.

The party however sought for Banire’s understanding of its decision to refuse his offer to resign from the NWC.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

NEWS

War: China, India, Tajikistan, others to send troops to Russia

Published

on

China’s People’s Liberation Army will send troops to Russia to participate in the “East-2022” drills.

The East-2022 is also called the Vostok-2022 and this was disclosed by the Chinese Ministry of Defense on Wednesday, according to CNN.

“China’s participation in the exercise is aimed at deepening practical and friendly cooperation with the armies of the participating countries,” the ministry added.

It further explained that the Asian giants’ participation would enhance the level of strategic cooperation among countries involved.

The exercise would further strengthen the ability to respond to various security threats, according to the defense ministry.

It, however, added that the exercise is unrelated to the current international and regional situation.

Other nations to join in the exercise are India, Belarus, Tajikistan, Mongolia and other countries.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Buhari approves three orthopedic hospitals in Edo, Plateau, Taraba

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the establishment of three additional orthopedic hospitals.

Health Minister, Osagie Ehanire, made the announcement on Wednesday at the inauguration of the Primary Health Care(PHC) Leadership Challenge at the State House.

The event was organised by the Nigeria Governors’ Forum (NGF) in collaboration with development partners.

Ehanire disclosed that the President approved siting of the orthopedic hospital in three regions.

“North-East has one; the North-Central has one and the South-South has one; in Benin, Jos and Jalingo respectively”, NAN quoted him saying.

Finance Minister, Zainab Ahmed said N471.9 billion had been disbursed to states under the $1.5billion World Bank-Assisted States Fiscal Transparency Accountability and Sustainability (SFTAS) Programme.

She added that all the 36 states had fully domesticated the fiscal reforms in their public financial management system.

Buhari approves three orthopedic hospitals in Edo, Plateau, Taraba

Continue Reading

NEWS

BREAKING: Electricity workers call off strike

Published

on

National Union of Electricity Employees (NUEE) has called off its nationwide strike.

The decision followed an emergency meeting with the Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige on Wednesday.

The minister’s spokesman Olajide Oshundun, announced that Ngige intervened in the industrial action.

NUEE Secretary General, Joe Ajaero, assured that electricity would be restored across the country tonight.

The workers shut down all Transmission Companies of Nigeria (TCN) offices earlier today.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Latest News

Advertisement

Trending