Connect with us

NEWS

30 killed in Yobe, Borno suicide blasts

Published

on

 

At least 30 people were killed and many others injured in suicide bombings in Yobe  and Borno states on Wednesday.

The incident happened on the day the military said it had killed 100 insurgents that tried to attack an army base in Goneri, Yobe State.

In Damaturu, the Yobe state capital three suicide bombers strapped with explosives attacked a mosque, a shopping complex, and a herder’s settlement on the edge of the town.

Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Toyin Gbadegesin, said 18 people were confirmed dead in the attacks.

“Eleven people died at the Fulani herders’ settlement on the outskirts of Damaturu, while four people died at the shopping complex and two at the community mosques all in Buhari Estate,” he said.

It was gathered that the first blast occurred around 5:15am as the bomber targeted worshippers at the mosque.

Witnesses said a university undergraduate, Hassan Mohammed Damagum, intercepted the bomber as he made for the mosque in the estate.

One of the witnesses, Mustafa Bukar, said the student struggled with the bomber.

“He produced a gun and tried to shoot but the student prevented him from taking aim and the shots went off target.

“In frustration the bomber held the student tightly and set off the explosive and both died instantly, “ the witness said.

The second attack happened around 6:15 am when the second suicide bomber attacked the herder’s settlement. The explosion killed 11 people and injured many.

Five minutes later, the third bomber struck at the shopping complex in Buhari Estate four people were killed and several others were injured.

Wednesday’s blast came almost a month after a female suicide bomber detonated explosives at a motor park that killed six people and injured 43.

Reports reaching Damaturu later at dusk yesterday said insurgents attacked Geidam town, about 100 kilometres to the north of the Yobe State capital.

Multiple explosions and gunshots rent the air as the insurgents appeared on the outskirts of the town.
Terrified residents retreated into their homes, locked themselves and prayed hard for succour from the Almighty.

Some residents told our correspondent on phone that security operatives had earlier alerted the people and advised everyone to retire home for safety.

“Some soldiers said Boko Haram militants were sighted kilometres away and advised people to return to their homes.”

He said the soldiers later imposed total restriction of movement and engaged the militants at the outskirt of the town.

Also, in Borno State on Wednesday, 12 people were feared killed in an attack on a mosque as worshippers stood in prayers at dawn.

Two suicide bombers carried out the mosque attack in Gubio village.

A resident, Zanna Modu Gubio who fled to Maiduguri, the state capital, told Daily Trust that the attacks occurred at about 5:30am by two male suicide bombers.

Zanna, an applicant, said he counted 12 corpses at the scene of the blast before he fled the scene.

“The early Morning prayer had started; I was late, preparing to rush to the mosque from my house when I heard the sounds of the twin bombs going off simultaneously. I counted 12 corpses with several people injured and crying for help. I locked my door and ran away thinking there would be more attacks,” he said.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

NEWS

2023: Buhari may meet Osinbajo, Tinubu, Amaechi, others

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari would this week meet with all the preidential aspirants of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).

The meeting was called with a view to reducing the number of presidential hopefuls and also ensuring that all of them pledge to accept the outcome of the primary as was done during the APC presidential primary in 2014.

“The President will meet with the aspirants a few days to the primary with a view to ensuring that there is unity and harmony. He will also meet with the governors separately. The date is not fixed yet, but it should be this week if INEC doesn’t extend the deadline for the primary as we are all hoping,” said an APC chieftain who wished to remain anonymous.

“The President has a candidate. How to present the idea to the likes of Tinubu will be the challenge,” he added.

Buhari’s most senior spokesman, Mr Femi Adesina, had said last week that the President indeed had a preferred candidate.

He stated, “In a previous interview when the President was asked whether he had a favourite candidate, he answered yes; but he will not mention him because mischief may happen to that person.

“That shows you that the President himself is interested in the process and he has a preferred candidate; but whether he will impose his candidate is what you cannot determine at the moment.”

When contacted on the telephone, the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, said he was not aware of any meeting the President would be having with the aspirants.

“I am not aware of any meeting as of now,” he said.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Gunmen behead abducted Anambra lawmaker from Governor Soludo’s constituency, hang head in motor park

Published

on

Gunmen who abducted a member of the Anambra State House of Assembly, Okey Okoye, have beheaded him.

After beheading him, his head was reportedly displayed at a motor park in Nnobi, Idemili South Local Government Area of the state.

The incident, which happened on Saturday, created panic in the community, which had been witnessing a series of violent killings since last year.

Sources added that his body was not there and indications were that the killers removed the body.

“The Anambra lawmaker representing Soludo’s constituency, Okechukwu Okoye who was earlier kidnapped, has been beheaded by gunmen; the late lawmaker’s head was mounted at Chisco Park in Amichi community,” a military source said on Saturday.

Gunmen had last Sunday abducted the lawmaker who was representing Aguata II state constituency in Aguata alongside Cyril Chiegboka, his campaign director.

Governor Charles Soludo had said during the week that efforts were ongoing to rescue the Anambra lawmaker from his abductors.

Continue Reading

NEWS

MC Oluomo allegedly demands N100million to support re-election of Oshodi Rep member

Published

on

Chairman of the Lagos State Parks Management Committee, Musiliu Akinsanya, popularly called MC Oluomo, is allegedly demanding N100 million to support the re-election of the member representing Oshodi Federal Constituency 1 in the House of Representatives, Hon. Bashiru Dawodu.

Dawodu, a medical doctor, rode on the back of MC Oluomo to win the election in 2019 after series of attempts in the past.

Dawodu presenting his Certificate of Return to MC Oluomo

Both, however, fell apart few months after Dawodu was elected due to irreconcilable differences .

MC Oluomo is said to be angry with Dawodu for not honouring agreements he (Dawodu) had with him prior to his victory in 2019.

MC Oluomo, who is seen as de-facto leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Oshodi was said to have vowed to work against Dawodu’s re-election in 2023.

He is believed to be working for the emergence of a former Chairman of Oshodi/Isolo Local Government, Afeez Ipesa Balogun to emerge as the APC’s candidate for the House of Representatives election in the constituency.

However, party leaders in the local government including the Chairman of the council, Kehinde Oloyede Almoof had appealed to MC Oluomo to tone down his opposition to Dawodu and support his re-election.

It was gathered that MC Oluomo did not turn down the fence-mending approach because he said he did the same with Oloyede who was his former arch-enemy.

It was further gathered that MC Oluomo demanded N100 million from Dawodu before he gets his support.

The money according to MC Oluomo is to settle his aides and loyalists, who supported Dawodu in 2019 but were abandoned by the Rep member.

According to sources at the various fence-mending meeting, appeals to MC Oluomo to reduce the amount were rebuffed.

Another dimension has, however, been added to the involvement of Oloyede in the matter.

The sources revealed that the council chairman, Oloyede is supporting Dawood because of his own interest.

Oloyede has been eyeing the Rep seat before his election as the council chairman.

Oloyede’s calculation according to the sources is that should Dawood gets the second term, it would be easy for him (Oloyede) to contest for the seat in 2027.

One of the sources who does not want his name in print because of backlash said : “Oloyede is supporting Dawood because of his own personal interest. He believes supporting Dawood may work for him in 2027.

Continuing, the source noted that Oloyede would rather support Dawodu over any other candidates because others eyeing the seat are first timers, who may want to seek for re-election in 2027.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Latest News

Advertisement

Trending