Intake of fruits greatly improves the health, and one fruit with plenty benefits is banana. Cheap to come by, and in abundance, banana can help in many ways. Even the outside of the banana can work wonders. Here are 30 reasons you need to ensure you eat more bananas:
1. It improves eyesight: Bananas contain a lot of Vitamin A, which is vital for the health of your eyes. Vitamin A is also needed to prevent macular degeneration when you get older.
2. Maintains a healthy digestive system: Banana contains a compound called fructooligosaccharide, which produces the enzymes that assist with the absorption of nutrients from the food that you eat. Thereby making it excellent for the digestive system. There are also ingredients in bananas that will ease constipation and help protect you against gastric ulcers.
3. Controls blood pressure: Bananas are a rich source of the minerals: potassium, magnesium and calcium. These minerals, potassium in particular, are known to be very good at stabilising blood pressure. The eating of bananas is often recommended for people who suffer with hypertension, as a part of an overall treatment plan
4. Prevents heart disease: Bananas are also good for your cardiovascular system in many different ways. They contain sterol fat, which helps to stop cholesterol being absorbed by the body, they are a good source of Vitamins C and B6, which promote a healthy heart and they are rich in potassium that can help prevent heart disease.
5. Recommended for diabetics: Because of the potassium that bananas contain, they are often recommended as a fruit that diabetics can eat. As well as the blood sugar stabilising effect of the potassium, bananas have a low glycaemic index, so they don’t cause the spike in blood sugar levels that some other fruits do.
6. Prevents Osteoporosis: Eating bananas regularly is also good for the health of your bones and teeth. The potassium in bananas helps the body to absorb calcium, which is essential for maintaining strong teeth and bones. Bananas can help prevent the development of the bone disease osteoporosis.
7. Protects against Alzheimer’s disease: Bananas contain antioxidants that protect the brain cells form being damaged by free-radicals. It is rich in antioxidants and so protects the neurons in the brain from oxidative stress and may reduce the risk of degenerative brain disorders, such as Alzheimer’s disease and dementia.
8. Helps you sleep better: The magnesium and potassium in bananas act as a muscle relaxant and that, along with the carbohydrates that bananas contain, will help you get to sleep and make you sleep more soundly if you suffer from insomnia.
9. Help with depression: They contain the amino acid tryptophan and vitamin B6, which help the body to produce the feel good hormone serotonin, which promotes a general feeling of well-being.
10. Help with weight loss: Eating a high fibre diet is one of the easiest ways that you can lose weight and Banana contains a lot of it. As a snack, it helps you feel full but gives you very little calorie because they contain lots of soluble fibre.
11. Reduces the risk of cancer: Adding bananas to your diet can reduce your risk of cancer. Like many fruits, bananas are a good source of antioxidants, which fight the cancer inducing damage that can be caused by free-radicals in your body. The high fibre content of bananas also keeps your bowels working properly, which can help prevent the development of bowel cancer.
12. Lowers cholesterol: The water soluble fibre in bananas can reduce the levels of bad cholesterol in your blood. Bananas contain a number of such soluble fibres including psyllium and pectin, which help the body expel the bad LDL cholesterol, which causes clogging and hardening of the arteries, but these fibres do not have the same effect on the good HDL cholesterol that your body needs to function properly.
13. Prevents anaemia: Iron deficiency, or anaemia, can cause dizziness, weakness and headaches and can, in extreme cases, be fatal. Bananas are a good natural source of iron, which the body needs to produce haemoglobin in the blood. Eat more bananas and you will have a lot more energy, and you will have a rosy complexion too.
14. Remove warts: Rubbing the inside of a banana skin on a wart regularly, or you hold a small piece of banana skin over a wart overnight with a bandage or plaster, it will gently remove the wart and you won’t have to use harsh chemical treatments that can burn and sting.
15. Relieves heartburn: If you wake up in the night with heartburn, try eating a banana, because bananas contain a natural antacid that neutralises the stomach acids that are the cause of heartburn. A banana will quickly restore the balance of the digestive system and bring quick relief for indigestion and heartburn.
16. Cures cracked heels: Massaging some banana pulp on cracked heel and leaving it on for ten minutes then washing it off again moisturises the skin and helps remove cracks from the heel. The anti-bacterial agents in bananas also help to remove any infection, and the banana pulp will have moisturised and nourished your skin.
17. Thickens hair: Benefits of bananas go even further. Bananas make a great ingredient for homemade hair masks. If you make up a hair mask of one mashed up banana mixed with some natural yoghurt and a tablespoon of coconut oil, it will add volume to your hair and promote new hair growth. It works best if you apply the mask to your hair and then leave it on for about twenty minutes before you wash it out again.
18. Removes excess oil for the skin:
Banana helps those with greasy skin. You can make a wonderfully effective facial scrub for oily skin by mixing together one mashed up banana, a tablespoon of oats, a tablespoon of honey and two tablespoons of almond milk. Massage this into your face and it will gently exfoliate the skin and it will remove excess sebum too.
19. Whitens teeth: Bananas skins contain a natural whitening agent that will work wonders on stained teeth. Rub the inside of a banana skin over your teeth and leave it for ten minutes before you rinse out your mouth. If you do this daily, you will soon have sparkling white teeth again.
20. Reduces wrinkles: Gently rub the inside of a banana skin over any fine lines in your skin that you may have and it will nourish and soften the skin and bring back some of its elasticity. Wash off after about five minutes. If you do this daily, you should be able to see a noticeable reduction in the lines in your skin in just a few weeks.
21. Cures acne: Banana contains some fantastically effective anti-bacterial agents that are great for treating acne. To make natural anti-acne face mask, mix one mashed up banana with a pinch of nutmeg and a teaspoon of honey (make sure you are not allergic to these natural ingredients). Apply this to your face, leave it on for about five minutes, and then wash it off again with warm water. Watch those pimples disappear!
22. Treats frizzy hair: Dry, frizzy hair can be treated with a banana hair mask. Mash up two bananas and add three tablespoons of honey and one tablespoon of argan oil. Massage the mixture into your hair, right down to the roots and scalp, and leave it in for half an hour. Then, you can wash and condition your hair as usual, and you will find that the banana hair mask has rehydrated your hair and tamed the frizz.
23 Treats dry skin: A mixture of pulped bananas and honey will clear up blemishes and rehydrate the skin. Simply apply the mixture to your face and leave it in for about five or ten minutes, then wash off.
24. Reduces the itching from insect bites: If you get bitten by an insect, then rubbing the inside of a banana peel on it will reduce the swelling and soothe the soreness and itching that insect bites and stings cause.
25. Reduce puffiness around the eyes: Beauty benefits of bananas are almost unlimited. The potassium in bananas will draw excess fluid out of the skin and reduce the appearance of puffy eyes almost instantly. Gently rub some mashed up banana into the areas under your eyes and leave it to it for about five or ten minutes. When you wash it off, your puffy eyes will be gone.
26. Banana and olive oil hair mask for shiny hair: Here’s another great banana hair mask recipe, this time for shiny hair. Peel and mash one ripe banana and then mix in a quarter of a cup of olive oil and the white of one egg. Massage the mixture well into your hair and scalp and leave it in for fifteen minutes before you wash it out again with shampoo. Bananas contain some wonderful nutrients that will condition your hair and bring back the shine and bounce.
27. Tones the skin: For a clear, glowing complexion, mix one tablespoon of mashed banana with a spoonful of honey, tablespoon of sweet almond oil and teaspoon of sandalwood powder. Apply the moisture to your face and leave it in for about fifteen minutes and your skin will feel fresh and smooth and you have a beautiful, natural looking, glowing complexion.
28. Cures dandruff: The anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties of bananas are great for treating dandruff. Mash up one banana and mix in a tablespoon of coconut oil, a few drops of lemon juice and a teaspoon full of natural honey. Massage the mixture well into your scalp and leave it in for twenty minutes. This hair mask will hydrate your scalp and fight any fungal infection, so your hair will soon be free of flakes of dandruff.
29. Cleanses and gently exfoliates the skin: Because bananas are rich in Vitamins A, C and E, they provide a gentle and natural way to cleanse the sin. To give your skin a deep down clean, lift dirt and grease from the pores, and exfoliate dead skin cells, make up a mixture of mashed banana and coffee grounds. Rub it gently into your face and it will leave your skin fresh and clean.
30. Treats chapped lips: If you get dry, chapped lips, just rub a little banana pulp on your lips and then apply sweet almond oil, before you go to bed and leave it on overnight. If you can resist licking your lips, it will moisturise the skin and help to heal any cracks in your lips.