Members of Boko Haram sect killed dozens of people in four villages in Maiduguri, Borno State, slitting some residents’ throats and opening fire on others, one resident and the police said on Tuesday.
“Boko Haram gunmen came into our villages at night, killing 43 people,” said Sheriff Kulo from Kilwa village near Monguno. He had escaped to Maiduguri.
There was no corroboration of the death toll, but the state Police Commissioner confirmed the raids, which happened late last week Friday.
Details have only just emerged because of poor phone networks in the remote area.
Kulo said the gunmen seized food and cattle then set villagers’ homes on fire.
“In Kilwa alone, they killed seven people, including the village head and left one seriously injured with a fracture on his leg,” he added.
“They then proceeded to Gwollam, Misala and Magaram, where they did the same thing. In all, they killed 43.
“They opened fire on residents and in some cases they used knives to slaughter their victims,” he added.
“Many women and children fled to Monguno, but were living in the open air with little food,” he further stated.
The Borno State Police Commissioner, Aderemi Opadokun, confirmed the attacks.
“From what we heard, the gunmen raided these villages. They shot dead their victims and in some cases slit their throats. They also carted away foodstuffs and livestock,” he said.
“We don’t have details of the actual number of people killed in the attack, but I can confirm it happened,” he added.