Lagos State Governor, Akinwunmi Ambode has commiserated with the family of the three children who lost their lives when fire gutted a section of some lock-up shops at Rainbow Avenue, Jakande Estate, Isolo, Lagos on Friday, expressing deep regrets over the unfortunate incident.
The Governor, who sent a delegation led by the Permanent Secretary in the Office of the Deputy Governor, Michael Ola-Dawodu, noted that the loss of any life is always painful, how much more losing three kids to a preventable fire incident.
“It is indeed an unfortunate incident and words cannot really express our sadness as a government over the loss of three innocent lives, who have become victims of an incident they know nothing about. It is indeed a pathetic situation and we can only express our condolence and commiserate with the bereaved family over this incident,” the governor stated.
Governor Ambode also use the visit to express government’s worry over the frequent flouting of relevant environmental laws in the state, adding that it is the disobedience of the law banning sleeping in markets and shops that has led to the unfortunate incident that claimed the life of the young ones.
The governor warned residents of the state, especially the market men and women to desist from disobeying the laws, noting that the full weight of the law will come to bear on any one found flouting the laws banning sleeping in market places and other public facilities illegally, as the government is more resolved and will go to any length to ensure the safety of lives and properties in the state.
“The death of these three children is avoidable only if we as a people are determined to obey the laws and desist from sleeping in the markets or garages for whatever reason.
“The government put these laws in place not only to ensure sanity in the market but to prevent avoidable incidents such as this unfortunate one, and in order for us to forestall a re-occurrence of incidents such as this, the laws must be enforced and offenders must face the music”, Ambode stated.
He enjoined landlord association, National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW) as well as other owners of buildings and commercial properties to ensure they have detailed information about their tenants and users of their facilities and the nature of the business they do, while enjoining them to educate their tenants on the dangers of keeping combustive items and inflammable substance in their shops or residence.
While narrating the cause of the fire, Director of the State’s Fire Service, Razaq Fadipe stated that a commercial bus loaded with kegs of petroleum products loss control and rammed into another stationery vehicle which resulted in a bid fire that spread to the shops and other vehicles around.
The fire incident which started at about 2.30am in the morning of Friday completely razed about 12 lock-up shops and 3 commercial buses within the estate and three children, Christiana 12, Feranmi 8 and Pelumi 6 of the same parent were burnt to death before help could come their way.