At least, 150 persons were yesterday rendered homeless when fire gutted 10 shops and 10 residential apartments at Afor Nkpor Market, Idemili North Local Government Area of Anambra State.
Worst-hit by inferno was the largest electrical shop in the area as wares worth over N50 million were lost.
The inferno which sources said started at about 3 am, destroyed wares worth over N50 million.
A neighbour to the victims, Pat Agbata, a lawyer, attributed the cause of the inferno to the epileptic power supply in the area, adding that the supply from Enugu Electricity Distribution Company, EEDC, at the time was high which sparked off surge in one of the shops and it caught fire that spread to other shops.
It was gathered that efforts made to save the situation were futile as the vehicle of the State Fire Service reportedly broke down midway to the scene.
Crying while narrating her ordeal to reporters, a widow and landlady to some of the affected shops, Chief (Mrs) Odobeaku, said it was the people’s cries and wailing with smoke billowing from the shops that woke her up.