Valuables worth millions of Naira were destroyed in the fire that gutted the automobile spare parts section of the Ladipo Market in Mushin, Lagos yesterday.
The fire, which started about 3.30am on Wednesday, affected over 50 shops where various automobile spare parts were stored.
Some of the traders said the fire was caused by a power surge, claiming that the fire started few minutes after the high-tension cable supplying electricity to the Ladipo community malfunctioned, as it detached from the pole and fell on the shops.
Public Relations Officer of the Ladipo Auto Dealers Association, Mr Nkire Ezeigbo, told our reporter that the fire started from the Osoro/Akinwumi area of the market, but was combated by fire fighters from the Lagos State Fire Service.
Ezeigbo noted that no casualty was recorded in the incident, but added that goods worth millions of Naira were destroyed.
Director of the Lagos State Fire Service, Mr Rasak Fadipe, confirmed the incident. He said that his men responded promptly to the distress call, adding that the fire was completely put out before noon.