Rising from a meeting on Thursday with the Chibok parents, President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered an investigation into the abduction of the 219 girls from Government Secondary in Chibok, Borno State.
The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu, said this in a statement on Thursday.
Shehu said the panel to investigate the abduction which occurred in April 2014 would soon be named by the National Security Adviser, General Babagana Munguno.
He said the investigation would seek to, among other things; unravel the remote and immediate circumstances leading to the kidnap of the girls by Boko Haram terrorists as well the other events, actions and inactions that followed the incident.
He said this came to light just as Buhari assured parents of the Chibok girls that he had been doing his best and would continue to do everything possible to rescue them and re-unite them with their families.
Shehu quoted Buhari as saying this at the State House in Abuja yesterday during a meeting with some parents of the missing girls, representatives of the Chibok community and members of the BringBackOurGirls movement.
He said the president noted that he remained committed to his pledge to do all within his powers to save the girls.
“I assure you that I go to bed and wake up every day with the Chibok girls on my mind. The unfortunate incident happened before this government came into being.
What have we done since we assumed office? We reorganised the military, removed all the service chiefs and ordered the succeeding service chiefs to deal decisively with the Boko Haram insurgency.
“In spite of the terrible economic condition we found ourselves in, we tried to get some resources to give to the military to reorganize and equip, retrain, deploy more troops and move more forcefully against Boko Haram. And you all know the progress we have made. When we came in Boko Haram was in Adamawa, Yobe and Borno. Boko Haram has now been reduced to areas around Lake Chad